New Uke Day

tnfishdaddy

Reaction score
After a long wait, my new Pono MT arrived today from Hawaii Music Supply. From the day I ordered it to the day it arrived was 13 days. Should have been here yesterday but I was out of work for MLK Jr. Day and they did not deliver. Package made it in great shape. Thank you UPS. HMS did there job also. Opening it up, there was lots of cardboard to protect. Ordered the Oahu hard case with it. Sort of wish I had not now. Wish I had gone with the nylon covered foam case. Oh well. The ukulele is beautiful. It is a little lighter wood than I was expecting but I have read that it darkens over time.Sounds good to my untrained ears. Definitely a step up from my Kala KA-S. My only complaint is ( and I am sure it was an accident) is this, I called up HMS to place my order. I was overcharged about $10. I ordered the Pono and then the case. On the website, it shows a package for the Uke, case and a beginners book for $10 less than I paid for the uke and case alone. (Just went to check this out and website has changed) No big deal. I emailed and told them and they were going to send me out two sets of strings with the uke that I wanted to try out on it to make up the difference. (Worths and Aquila) Worked for me. After opening up the package, there were no strings included. Other than that, I think I am going to like it. Think I am going to like the tenor size versus the soprano size. If I get brave enough, I might even post up a clip to youtube so you can hear it.

032.jpg 033.jpg 036.jpg 038.jpg 040.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I think the wood color in your pics is darker than what HMS shows on their website. Could just be lighting differences. Enjoy your new uke.

Looks to be a beauty! If you drop Andrew K. an email I am sure he will straighten out the strings deal. And the Oahu cases are the best I have seen. You'll be glad you have such a nice case. Enjoy!

Wood is lighter than my pictures show. (Not a very good photographer) I emailed the same day I called the order in and Andrew said he would stick the strings in. Uke did not ship for several days. Honest mistake I am sure. I may send him an email. I hate to bother them over such a little amount. After playing a little bit, I really like the extra room on the frets.

Congrats on the nice uke.
My Oahu concert case came in from HMS yesterday. I bought it to replace a hard foam case that had a torn zipper. Just curious as to why you prefer the foam case.

Bill

Wood is lighter than my pictures show. (Not a very good photographer) I emailed the same day I called the order in and Andrew said he would stick the strings in. Uke did not ship for several days. Honest mistake I am sure. I may send him an email. I hate to bother them over such a little amount. After playing a little bit, I really like the extra room on the frets.

It is a beautiful case. Just seems like a lot of money for something I am not going to use that much. I will change my mind first time I need to take it somewhere. I just don't plan on using it that much I guess is the reason.

Congratulations! That's a beautiful ukulele! I have a Pono mahogany baritone that I really like. As for the case, there was a thread here recently about controlling humidity that suggested that maybe those foam cases leak humidity more than hard cases do. (I have no idea if that's true but it was suggested to explain low humidity in a humidified foam case.) Unless you have controlled humidity in your living space, you're probably going to keep the uke in the case whenever you're not playing it, and if you need to humidify the case, you may be getting the benefit of your decision to by an Oahu case whenever you leave the uke in the case.

Congrats and nice uke! I'm sure you'll get some use out of the case, don't worry!

Just wanted to make a quick update. Emailed Andrew at HMS and he is sending me the strings that he mentioned. I have nothing but good things to say about HMS. Just wish they were closer so I didn't have to wait on my uke but it was well worth the wait.:)

I too have a PONO and I am sure you will love yours tooo. THey really seem like great instruments for the money. Congrats.

Top Bottom