I think I'm going to cry...

OldePhart

Reaction score
I am grabbing a towel as well. What a shame for someone to let such a beautiful instrument get into such a bad shape. Seems a little high for all it needs and maybe not returnable to a fully refinished state. Sure tempted though, since I am such a baritone fanatic :) Lozark

I realize the seller insists it's a uke, but it is a tenor guitar. And, it is very sad. Pass the hankies.

I would love the chance to fix it. $395 divided by 100 equals $3.95. Just my cup of tea 'til the Spring time. I started off with nothing and have most of it left. PS: The top has a nice tight grain. With Freemont blacks it might sound terrific when repaired.

Last edited:
I am grabbing a towel as well. What a shame for someone to let such a beautiful instrument get into such a bad shape. Seems a little high for all it needs and maybe not returnable to a fully refinished state. Sure tempted though, since I am such a baritone fanatic :) Lozark

I agree with you, lozarkman, I also think the seller is asking a lot of for this item.

It may cost a lot to fix bow (warp?) in the neck. I was told once if the warp is around 0.8cm or less, it may worth the effort to try. Anything more than 1cm, then the wood is, according to him, GONE :deadhorse:. The seller did not give us much infor on how bad the warp is.

OK, who has the tower ?

I realize the seller insists it's a uke, but it is a tenor guitar. And, it is very sad. Pass the hankies.

Are you sure? A tenor guitar should have been built for steel strings and therefore wouldn't be pulled apart like this is...

Are you sure? A tenor guitar should have been built for steel strings and therefore wouldn't be pulled apart like this is...

This is absolutely, no question about it, a tenor guitar, not a baritone ukulele. The scale length and the nut width are the giveaways. Plus the fact that this instrument was clearly manufactured before Baritones were really conceived. I don't know why the neck bowed but it this instrument was designed to handle steel strings.

It could be repaired and strung with nylons as a Baritone but I think the nut width and the shape and thickness of the neck would be a constant reminder to the player that it originally was a tenor guitar.

It's possible that it was strung with far too heavy strings. It may be built for steel, but I'm sure it's still very lightly built.

At least it's not a Boat Paddle uke - when I first saw it that's what I thought - then I noticed that the headstock wasn't right, etc. Still a crying shame any way you look at it. :(

It's extremely likely that the neck is not bowed but that it needs a neck reset as well as fretboard extension modification to fit correctly... often on these old guys the actual neck is dead straight but the neck/body joint has drifted which means there's an angle going on making action bad rather than a true warp.

And yes, this is a tenor guitar, c.1925-30. There's a nearly identical one sitting my shop "to get to" pile right at the moment and two more of these, in KeyKord format, on their way to me as I write this.

I've been watching it for about a month now and it still makes me sad. If I was flush I'd have bought it and sent it to rehab at Jake's.

Top Bottom