Ever Buy a Uke Because >>>

Paul December

Reaction score
Ever buy a uke mainly because it was a good deal?
...I do (and just did :eek: ) It usually doesn't work out well, and gets quickly flipped.
I just paid for a Firefly Banjo Uke I saw being sold used.
...I already own a Gold Tone Banjolele
:eek:

Well, yes, but because it was a good deal AND it was an ukulele that I wanted.
:)

Buying any instrument just because it was heavily discounted? Only if there's a 100% refund return policy and return shipping coverage from the seller. BTW, that's a good deal too.

I bought my newest uke from Mim, because I like her. Now, I really like the uke, too! And it WAS a good deal, too.

I bought a "Lahaina" Pineapple off ebay once for 60€. It was a cheap Japanese uke basically with a too thick top. Sounded great picked, not so great strummed. Not even Aquilas could save it, I resold it for 40€.

However, it made me realize that I love direct tuners.

I have put a low bid a uke on eBay not expecting to win but low and behold I won. I don't really play it too much and it might go up on the marketplace sometime soon.

I bought my Mainland mango concert from Mike as a blem, coz it was a really good deal. Now it's one of my favorite instruments. So it can definitely work out!

In July 2010, three months after buying my first Kamaka tenor, I came upon a used (made in 2005) Kamaka tenor at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. I wasn't in the market for a Kamaka tenor, but this instrument was pristine (the prior owner was a guitarist who tended to collect stringed instruments and had basically never played this uke) and it was being sold at a great price. It had great resonance on low notes and had the most unusually spectacular koa on its sides, so I bought it and asked Grypon to string it low G. I love it, play it frequently and have never regretted buying it at all, but I bought it in large part because it was difficult to pass up a mint condition Kamaka tenor at the price.

I bought my 8 string because it was a good deal. I'd never played a Kamaka before, nor an 8 string, so it was a complete gamble.

Love it though. :)

yep - too many to name! UAS is in a reduced state right now, but I still browse eBay's "vinage ukulele" & any Kamaka/KoAloha/Mainland/Flea sales as well. (I find myself filtering eBay w/either "Ending soonest" to "Newly listed" - while I'm waiting for my Mya-Moe to be built, its REALLY tempting to jump on another one!

Yup.

I bought a Republic Concert Laminated zebrawood with what was listed as (and may be a) spruce top last year when they were liquidating them, after someone posted about it here on the forum.

Came with a hardshell case, for $119 delivered.

well, the case is okay - protects, but poorly finished exterior - and the ukulele was basically unplayable.

I sent it up to Tudorp in Michigan, because he likes challenges, and he did a very nice job with it - fret dressing and leveling, replaced nut and saddle with bone... he put a lot of time into it, and now it plays just fine. Kinda quiet even with Aquilas, so I'm guessing the top is a bit thick.

Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time, looks nice, plays okay. Not one of the front line ukes, but I brought it with me to the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival last October, figuring that a) I had to leave it in the car for a while, and b)if something happened to it, I wouldn't be devastated. Ended up playing it in the hotel lobby for a few folks who saw the case, asked if it was a ukulele, and one mentioned that he was thinking about getting one.

I don't know if he ever did, but I did tell him about UU, the 1 minute lessons, and the forum.

-Kurt​

Sure did and I'm happy with it. Brand new Makai LC-150D Concert for 1 Benjamin. Nice bright voice and cool looking with the "D" hole. Also a Mele Double Puka Mahogany Soprano in like new condition for $145......................BO.................

Last edited:
Top Bottom