Bass Uke?

YooperUker

Reaction score
Lately, I've been playing a bass ukulele. No, not a shrunken bass guitar that's marketed as a "uke" just because it kinda looks like one, but something that actually fits in the ukulele family.

Mine has a baritone uke body, but has appropriately weighted strings to be tuned G2-C3-E3-A3--that is, one octave below a soprano in C tuning (with low-G).

Selecting strings was tough (mostly because manufacturer data is often incomplete and sometimes even contradictory), so I can't be certain that my math was correct. For instance, for my G string I use a "super extra heavy" 0.048" bronze-wound classical guitar string which, with the other associated data, I calculate it should give 98Hz over the 20.24 inch-scale at a normal tension. Playing it, the tone and tension all seem right. Guess that's what counts, right?

The instrument has a bass range nearly that of a guitar (less three semitones) and a high string just two semitones lower than the guitar's second treble course. Slightly little bit more "boom" than I wanted; maybe I shoulda used a 3/4-sized guitar instead, but that woulda required a lot of modification to the neck, fingerboard width, and peghead (as well as replacing bridge and nut to adjust string spacing).

I have, thus far, elected to go with linear, rather than reentrant, tuning on this. I dunno. What are people's thoughts as to what should be "proper" for a bass or low-octave uke? Do you think it should be reentrant like standard soprano, or is it more reasonable for it to have a low G (to better carry the bottom end of the uke ensemble)?

Actually, the Kala Ubass itself has some potential to be more ukeish. In addition to their standard string set, the Pahoehoe strings are made all the way down to a 0.078" diameter. A bit of mathematics and experimentation with sizes and tensions might turn a uBass into a sweet *double*-low-octave uke in G1-C2-E2-A2. No more questions whether it should be allowed in a ukulele orchestra (afterall, it would be simply an additional voicing of the standard uke).

Ukin' in da U.P.

Your experiment sounds very interesting, but are you planning to play bass lines on this instrument or low sounding chords? For me, tuning a bass in fourths (EADG) makes the most sense. Of course as a long time bass player, that's what I am used to. I'm not sure what I would do with a "bass uke" tuned GCEA.

- Steve

ukulele-based bass ukulele. . .not Ubass

Your experiment sounds very interesting, but are you planning to play bass lines on this instrument or low sounding chords?

We have sopranissimo, sopranino, soprano, and baritone voicings in the ukulele family. . .why not a bass?

That's what I was looking for: a bass voicing that's actually in the ukulele family, not a double bass disguised as a ukulele.

For me, tuning a bass in fourths (EADG) makes the most sense. Of course as a long time bass player, that's what I am used to.

Of course, if you want to put string-bass-style bass lines into an arrangement, you're almost certainly better off with an instrument that was designed to be played like a string bass (such as an upright bass, electric bass, or even Ubass) rather than one designed to be played like a ukulele or a piano or a kazoo.

I don't imagine that strumming out ukulele chords would be a highly favored way of playing an instrument that's pitched near the range of a double bass. Heavy strings like that just beg to be plucked and slapped, not tickled.

I think the string bass already has the low EADG sort of thing pretty well covered. And even when someone builds such an instrument and calls a "bass ukulele" or "bass guitar", it's still more a descendant of the viol family than it is of the ukulele or guitar families. I don't see a whole lot of need for an actual ukulele-family member that's pitched that low.

Even so, the bottom of a baritone uke is is nearly two octaves above the bottom end of a string bass. I think that sparsely populated bit of scale range could provide a home to at least one additional uke voicing without affecting playing style.

And, so, I pitched my bass-converted baritone over an octave above a double bass and fully a fifth lower than a baritone ukulele.

The strings don't really make it feel all that different from a baritone uke (well, aside from having three wound strings instead of the more typical two). So it seems to handle ukulele playing styles just fine.

I'm not sure what I would do with a "bass uke" tuned GCEA.

Well, if it was voiced in C just a fifth below baritone, I expect a ukulele player would probably just use it to make music. Saxophone ensembles don't seem to have much trouble figuring out what to do with a bass sax.

But if you're referring to my suggestion that one might be able to set up a Ubass in C an octave below that (two octaves below a soprano uke). . .then, I have to agree, it wouldn't be as practical for conventional basslines, and playing it like a ukulele would have pretty limited usefulness (it would spend more time in storage than the typical cowbell).

pictures???

I don't think there's much need for photos. Just imagine a Lanikai spruce-top baritone. And then imagine the strings being a couple hairs' widths thicker.

I was expecting that the D3/G3/B3/E4 > G2/C3/E3/A3 conversion would require more modification beyond just a simple string change. Especially, I feared that I would have to pull the bridge off in order to ream out the holes on the tieblock, but the thicker strings fit fine.

I should shape a new saddle with a bit of compensation adjustment and reslot the nut to level the strings, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (or even lowering the action from factory). However, I did relieve the D slot some to fit the G2 string.

String selection, on the other hand, took hours (lots of searching for string manufacturer specs and doing the math to determine tension and frequency at the 20.25" scale length).

Check out this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...w-set-of-strings-before-YOU-GOTTA-TRY-THIS!-D

Guadalupe makes both re-entrant and linear sets of baritone strings that are tuned a full octave below standard C tuning. And they're fantastic on the right uke. I use the re-entrant ones on my spruce-top Aria baritone and it sings.

Yup, I was just about to link to that same link.
It's already been done before, and finding strings would be a lot easier getting them, from Guadalupe.

Thank-you very much! I've been slowly backtracking through the archives, but haven't gotten even that far yet. I gotta try me to some o' dem strings!

(For those who haven't sifted through the thread, they're made by Guadalupe Custom Strings in Los Angeles [That's Finland, right? I misplaced my globe], single sets are available internationally on ebay. US domestically, they're available directly from GCS at about US$8/set (they're not specifically listed on the price list) with a minimum order of 5 sets (I recommend that you just give GCS a call to make sure you order the right strings or to find out if there's some reseller who might be willing to sell single sets).

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that such octave uke strings aren't a more common option with suppliers. Lil'u 6, Soprano Low-G, and even skinny, higher C-tuning for baritone are pretty available. How come thicker, low-octave C-tuning for a baritone body isn't more widely available? Heck, if I had selected for re-entrant low-C, I wouldn't even have had to widen my nut slot. Dropping better than half an octave with physical motification?!? Having such a set would have been a really stupidly easy way of expanding the voice range of one's ukulele collection.

If any retailers or string manufacturers are reading this, consider carrying such sets. (And, if Guadalupe is, indeed, the first to venture into that direction, their ready-selected strings should lead the way.)
[Hah! Not even a week on the UU fora and I've already begun my crusade!]

For those who may be wondering what strings I went with for downtuning my baritone to a bass. . .
Looking at scale lengths, I knew that I wanted the four base strings from a classical guitar set, shortened to a baritone uke scale. However, the strings would have to be dropped 2-3 half steps, so I would want something that was already naturally a little stiff and heavy so that it would still play pretty much true when undertensioned.

So, I selected a set of Giannini Classic Series classical guitar strings, as it was the thickest set I could find (and the only one in Super Extra Hard). Eliminating the two trebles, shifting the basses over two nut slots, shortening the scale length a couple frets' worth, and then downtuning 2 or 3 semitoned brought it down to the range I needed.

Last edited:
Frankly, I'm a little surprised that such octave uke strings aren't a more common option with suppliers.

Because it's a tuning that the ukulele is not designed for.
Physically, the body shape can't truly bring out those low tones. It's an exotic, experimental tuning - and Guadalupe is one of those companies that provides for such a niche.

Knowing this aside, I think it's lots of fun. However, there are limited applications.
To be honest, it's only really "practical" on an electric baritone ukulele where the sound can be amplified.

I don't imagine that strumming out ukulele chords would be a highly favored way of playing an instrument that's pitched near the range of a double bass.

Depends on what strings you use. I have a friend in a Massachusetts band called The Bella Birds who plays an acoustic bass guitar and is often playing chords high on the neck. I think his style might work pretty well on a bass uke. He also plays uke, I don't know if it helped him develop this bass playing style. This is a clip of that style -- the song they're playing was released on an all-uke EP called "Uke Can Do It".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZONnzPNxbrI

And in actual fact, gcea tuned one octave low is nowhere near actual "bass" tuning. Its not even as low as a regular guitar's eadg strings.

And in actual fact, gcea tuned one octave low is nowhere near actual "bass" tuning.

Hmm. . .just what do you mean by "actual 'bass' tuning"? "Bass" is not a particular instrument any more than "red" is an automobile. Nor is it a particular pitch range.

In musical instrument nomenclature (which, granted, is full of inconsistencies), bass is the next major voicing below baritone, regardless of where that pitch puts it relative to other instrument families.

Having "bass" in the name doesn't necessarily mean that an instrument is pitched similarly to a string bass (which, itself, is not really a bass voicing in the violin family, but, rather, a double- or contra-bass voicing; the tuning of which was then incorporated into the design of a transverse electric instrument to accompany guitar).

Its not even as low as a regular guitar's eadg strings.

Not as low as a train whistle, either. Nor is either particularly relevant to ukulele nomenclature. However, since you brought up guitars, I'll point out that baritone ukulele is not even as low as soprano or alto guitars (or baritone guitars, for that matter).

If the interval between baritone and soprano ukes can be just five semitones (and zero between tenor and soprano), then I believe I'm pretty well justified in regarding a voicing seven semitones below baritone to be low enough to be called a bass.

My post was in response to your comment that low gcea is nearly double bass pitch, which is not the case as it is more than an octave higher. By bass i refer to the range played by bass guitars and double basses which play the role of bass in many areas of music. In my opinion, this so called "bass uke" is still too high pitched to play the role of "bass" from a practical perspective. The basic capability of a bass guitar in a band or ensemble is to play bass chords as single notes. Its noticeable to me since i play basses and ukes.

Yes, its low pitched for a uke. But if you see the bigger picture in the strings family, it would be too high pitched to truly pass as an instrument for playing bass. Attempting to play fundamental bass chords on this thing feels a bit silly because the sound is not deep enough relative to the other parts.

Even going by convention, considering that there are ukes that actually tune to low EADG like a bass guitar, they would be considered bass ukes. They're not "double basses disguised as ukes", no. The only thing that's been adapted is the same low octave EADG tuning, which is simply very practical for playing "Bass". The Bass guitar borrowed it from the upright Double bass, yet people don't say that a bass guitar is a "Double bass disguised as a guitar". All other aspects, including dimensions, marketed purpose, material of strings, companies that produce them, etc, identify it as a "bass uke".

Low gcea technically does not exist in the conventional naming of the uke family, nor is there even close to enough popularity to give it its own class. Therefore its nothing more than a seldom used alternative tuning of the baritone ukulele. Just like how you can tune a tenor uke to DGBE baritone tuning, but its still considered a tenor. The Ubass is a bass uke, because there is a clear physical difference to regular baritone ukes (tuners, string type, pickup, etc), and there is enough public awareness/support to acknowledge it as such.

Last edited:
Thanks kissing! I meant to ask the OP YooperUker

I like the idea of a ukulele "chorus" like Gibson did with the mandolin family back in the '30s. The main problem today is that the soprano, the concert (also called the alto) and the tenor are all tuned to the same notes. I tried the mighty google to see if there ever was a full orchestra with different tunings and came up blank. Does anyone know if such a thing ever existed?

My post was in response to your comment that low gcea is nearly double bass pitch,

I never said that. Perhaps you misread when I was suggesting the potential of stringing a U-Bass for G1-C2-E2-A2/G,CEA (another octave below low Gcea or two octaves below gc'e'a')?

I thought it would not be too hard to do (it being just a matter of selecting the correct strings) and, because it uses ukulele tuning and chord fingerings, would satisfy those who question the presence of an upright bass in an all-uke orchestra.

It was really just a novelty instrument idea. While such tuning may be fine for someone who is moving to it from ukulele, that middle interval of a third rather than a fourth would be a pain in the ass to an experienced bass-line player, who is almost certainly more accustomed to the linear fourths on an upright bass or bass guitar.

Compared to the standard tuning of a string bass, such a double-bass ukulele would lack just three semi-tones of bottom-end range (and the high string would be just one note higher). Thus, it should be capable of sounding nearly identical to a short-scale string bass. And, that being the case, the only thing to be gained by putting it into your uke orchestra as a replacement for the identical-looking and nearly identical-sounding short-scale string bass is merely the novelty of it being technically a slight bit more ukeish.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, bass lines for string basses are best handled by string basses. I don't see much more advantage to replacing them with a more uke-derived instrument than I do with developing a uke to replace a snare-drum. U-Bass and other short-scale basses are fine by me; I just don't consider them to be a type of ukulele.

Okay, enough about double-bass ukes, and back to the single variety:

By bass i refer to the range played by bass guitars and double basses which play the role of bass in many areas of music. In my opinion, this so called "bass uke" is still too high pitched to play the role of "bass" from a practical perspective.

Obviously. It cannot play string bass parts. Nor is it well suited for accordian solos. For that matter, neither can a soprano ukulele, yet, strangely, I haven't seen any complaint that they can't handle bass guitar notes.

Heck, baritone ukes can't handle baritone guitar notes. So why criticize a bass uke for not being a bass guitar?

The basic capability of a bass guitar in a band or ensemble is to play bass chords as single notes.

Yep. And a timpani and a piccolo flute and a viola all have their own basic capabilities. But, again, this discussion is about ukuleles, not guitars or other instrument families.

Yes, its low pitched for a uke. But if you see the bigger picture in the strings family, it would be too high pitched to truly pass as an instrument for playing bass.

Again, you are using "bass" as if it was absolute rather than relative. The low-octave C ukulele is IMHO justifiably a bass ukulele relative to the others of its family. It would probably not, however, be placed with the bass section of an orchestra. Nor, for that matter, would the baritone uke likely be considered a baritone instrument relative to the rest of a mixed ensemble.

Attempting to play fundamental bass chords on this thing feels a bit silly because the sound is not deep enough relative to the other parts.

Yeah, I imagine it would. But, y'know. . .if it's what you want to do, go ahead.

Even going by convention, considering that there are ukes that actually tune to low EADG like a bass guitar, they would be considered bass ukes. They're not "double basses disguised as ukes", no.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on that. Maybe "double-", "contra-", or "great-bass ukes", but there being a nearly two-octave jump between that and a baritone ukulele, makes it IMHO too low to be simply a "bass uke".

The Bass guitar borrowed it from the upright Double bass, yet people don't say that a bass guitar is a "Double bass disguised as a guitar".

Uh, yes they did (and some still do). Many a war was waged over the issue. It was designed as a more portable replacement for the cumbersome double-bass. The musical function is that of a double-bass, but the more gig-practical form was borrowed from the electric guitar.

However, the controversy over introducing an electronic instrument into an acoustic ensemble greatly overshadowed the "What is it?" issue. Still, many musicologists classify it as a more direct descendant of the viol than of the guitar.

Have you seen those Lute-uleles? (I think that's the name.) Anyway, they look like bowl-backed lutes, but are actually designed and strung for playing as 6-string tenor (Lili'u 6) ukuleles. One might consider the bass guitar to be an upright bass disguised as an electric guitar in much the way that a Lute-ulele is a uke disguised as a lute. Guitar players don't play bass guitars, double-bassists do, and lute players don't play Lute-uleles, ukists do.

All other aspects, including dimensions, marketed purpose, material of strings, companies that produce them, etc, identify it as a "bass uke".

Regardless of whether builders make money off calling them that, I still consider the term a misnomer. Perhaps "bass/uke", but not "bass uke". (BTW, not even Kala calls the U-Bass a "bass uke"; however, the gentleman from whom they licensed the design did.)

Low gcea technically does not exist in the conventional naming of the uke family,

Nor did linear tuning on a C soprano until maybe 25 years ago. Or the baritone ukulele until sixty or so years ago. Things change. I think you'll find that nothing exists in any conventional naming scheme before being added to it.

nor is there even close to enough popularity to give it its own class.

Maybe not at present. Who's to say it won't catch on? And what should popularity matter as to whether something that fits the naming scheme should have its own class? Sopranissimo ukes have never been very popular, but they've had their own class for about a hundred years.

Therefore its nothing more than a seldom used alternative tuning of the baritone ukulele.

Thus far, yes. And until an ensemble or consort elects to use it or a luthier starts making larger ukulele bodies and scales to better accommodate that lower tuning, it will probably remain that way.

Just like how you can tune a tenor uke to DGBE baritone tuning, but its still considered a tenor.

Well, that's actually the tuning the Tenor was designed for. And it's origin also helps demonstrate how screwed up ukulele nomenclature already is.

Tenor ukulele was introduced as an additional voicing below Soprano and was pitched at D4/G3/B3/E4 (re-entrant like soprano, but a fourth lower).

The first problem this created with ukulele terminology was that it skipped over the conventional term "alto", mainly because "tenor" was becoming a very hip buzzword at the time. Despite the name choice, it had little, if anything, in common with the then-recently-invented Tenor Guitar (which, itself, was intentionally not so much a guitar as a Tenor Banjo disguised as one by mounting a Tenor-Banjo-style neck on a full-size guitar body and using the same fifths tuning of CGDA).

However, an even bigger problem came with the introduction of the baritone uke.

Some felt that the Tenor ukulele body was a bit small to give the sound they wanted at that tuning, so, as the Concert had been for the Soprano, the larger Baritone was introduced as a fuller-sounding version of the Tenor. Why they called it "baritone' instead of, say, "concert tenor", I don't know.

Baritone was pitched D3/G3/B3/E4 (linear progression, non-reentrant), making Tenor in G rather superfluous. So now, Tenors are more commonly set up for C (with or without re-entrance on the G string), which also means that it's now coincident with Soprano (and also with Concert).

The Ubass is a bass uke, because there is a clear physical difference to regular baritone ukes (tuners, string type, pickup, etc)

That is also all true of an Irish lap harp, but I don't see how an instrument's being different from a baritone uke should lead one to conclude that it must, therefore, be a bass uke.:)

Thanks for making me think!

Thanks kissing! I meant to ask the OP YooperUker

I assure you, you really don't want to hear me play. I think Kissing's clip covers it pretty well. It's roughly in the pitch range of the middle four strings of a guitar, but without the resonance of the guitar's larger body.

I assure you, you really don't want to hear me play. I think Kissing's clip covers it pretty well. It's roughly in the pitch range of the middle four strings of a guitar, but without the resonance of the guitar's larger body.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise it was the same model

Top Bottom