'Savannah' baritone ukulele review

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/mwqTpKsC6eM

Here's a video of me playing the 'Savannah' baritone ukulele.
The instrument is a Chinese made cheapo, which sells at Amazon.com for about $45, or maybe less. I've owned it now since November 2011, and I've played it quite a lot.

The ukulele came in a box with a cheap non-padded viniyl gig bag, and was very well set up from the factory. The strings are ok, and fret dressing, geared tuners and general build seem very solid and sturdy indeed. It will take a beating, for sure. The wood is some sort of inexpensive white wood, while the fretboard may be maple. The color is a painted reddish-brownish-orange; it does look cheap...the looks of it is strongly reminiscent of the baritones from Rogue, another cheapo brand, maybe put together by the same factory...? Intonation is surprisingly good, certainly good enough even for chords way up the fretboard.

The neck is quite broad, which allows for plenty of room for the left hand. While this may make it heavy to play for some people, it may also make others feel that it is easier to position fingers correctly for chords.

Obviously, an instrument like this will not suffice for professional players, unless they especially want the kind of sound that you can hear in the video. Still, it's my personal opinion that the ukulele is quite good, and most definitely a bargain at that price. For learners or someone who just want to check out the baritone sized ukulele, this instrument might be just right. And yes, I would even take it on a gig.

Sounds a bit dry but this is an unfair review; you'd make any instrument sound good. Lovely little tune.

Sounds a bit dry but this is an unfair review; you'd make any instrument sound good. Lovely little tune.

:agree: You make it sound awesome....just subscribed to your videos. May not be a Martin, but makes a hell of a cool blues uke. Lots of old timey blues masters started on guitars that didn't cost half that much.

:agree: You make it sound awesome....just subscribed to your videos. May not be a Martin, but makes a hell of a cool blues uke. Lots of old timey blues masters started on guitars that didn't cost half that much.
Thank you, Gwynedd and PhilUSAFret...I do my best... I have this notion that instruments should be inexpensive AND good - so that anybody can afford them if they feel they want to play. Pros will always move on to the best instruments after a while, regardless of price. Or, like f ex Willie Nelson, they will stick to their instrument until it falls apart and still sound good.

Top Bottom