PDA

View Full Version : NC State University Ukulele Club!

Johabi
01-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi UU! I was searching for a ukulele club at NCSU this semester, and I've realized that there isn't one (yet!) I plan on rectifying this situation as soon as possible by starting up a club here. If all goes according to plan, the club will be open to students and non students alike, and it will accommodate players of all levels, from those who want to learn to the experts.

If anyone is interested in attending or even helping me set up the club, shoot me a PM. Also, if anyone has advice on how to run a ukulele club, I would love to hear it. This is still in the works so I will keep those who are interested up to date in this thread.

ukuraleigh
01-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Be still my beating heart!

An ukulele club in Raleigh and Wolfpack affiliated! I'm not a student, but would love to join if you open it up to non students.

If you get this off the ground, please let me know.

Go Pack!

douginnc
01-18-2012, 06:28 AM
You've got my attention! I hadn't considered a univ-associated club. The enduring college social clubs I've known of had faculty cadre/sponsors. Otherwise, they'd ebb and flow due to the churn. I sure believe it would be furtile ground there.

Hmmm ...

It strikes me that it would be great to have a univ club and non-univ club. They would have close ties, share ideas and resources, and that they would periodically have a joint gathering. Maybe the same club with two "-centric" focuses.

Doug

Johabi
01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
It's great to see that this is already getting some non-student interest! :D I've been considering having a faculty adviser for the club, but when you put it that way, I'll definitely try to find one. I'm sure there is at least one ukulele-loving faculty member here, and if not, I have a few other ideas for involving the faculty.

As for having both a university club and a non-university club, I don't think I could effectively manage that without someone else handling the bulk of the non-university club. (I am going for a major in biomed engineering and a double minor in cognitive science and computer science so founding/operating one club is all that I can comfortably handle at this time.)

That being said, I am still in the process of figuring out how much interest there is and from what kinds of people. If we have enough people who are planning on joining, we might end up having multiple groups in multiple venues to accommodate different schedules, skill levels, styles, etc. From there we would host larger events to gather all the groups together. There would need to be quite a few interested people to make an arrangement similar to that practical and fun.

Thank you for your input, by the way! I'm still working out many details at the moment, and every bit of advice helps even if I don't actively use it because it will most likely give me more ideas :D

inthepit
03-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Did you ever get any momentum with this? I'm a Math/CSC grad student at NCSU and I've had my uke for about a week. I would be interested in a uke club.