PDA

View Full Version : I played that song in a music store on a ukulele

gyrocapt
01-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Yes, i went into a music store in toronto, picked up a Kala archtop tenor, plugged it into the nearest amp and started to play stairway to heavan. It felt sooooooooooo good, and it sounded ok as well. Next time its gonna have to be something really fancy. Any ideas.

PoiDog
01-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Go with either Flight of the Bumblebee, Peaches en Regalia, or La Villa Strangiato

gyrocapt
01-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Its amazing to see peoples faces when they realize that what there hearing is coming from a ukulele and not a guitar, Thanks for the ideas, Flight of the bumblebee sounds good

mr moonlight
01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
I just had to.

gyrocapt
01-18-2012, 06:43 AM
That made me giggle, forgot all about the sign

gokidd
01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
"Wheels on The Bus" -- RAP version.

stevepetergal
01-18-2012, 07:03 AM
I like the quintet from Rigoleto.

uker24helios
01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I had a fairly the same experience. I've been to a music shop in Essex and picked up an Applause soprano, connected it on the nearest amp and played Crazy G. I did enjoy the expressions of people when they realise it is not a guitar. At least they have an idea now how powerful a ukulele can be ha ha ha.

ukecantdothat
01-18-2012, 10:20 AM
"Wheels on The Bus" -- RAP version.

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" -- RAP version.

haole
01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I wonder if Stairway has been "banned" for so long that people are starting to miss it.

1931jim
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, i went into a music store in toronto, picked up a Kala archtop tenor, plugged it into the nearest amp and started to play stairway to heavan. It felt sooooooooooo good, and it sounded ok as well. Next time its gonna have to be something really fancy. Any ideas.
How about that old family favourite "Cut your toe nails you're tearing all the sheets."...... btw gyrocapt which store in Toronto please.?

uke4ia
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I like to pick up a uke at the music store and start playing some Genesis, usually something from Supper's Ready. The guy at the counter will think he knows the song, but won't place it because he doesn't expect it to come from a uke.

gyrocapt
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
It was Long and Mcquade, they dont seem to be happy in their work there.

gyrocapt
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
They dont have many Ukes there, and i was there a month ago and they told me that the Kala Archtop was impossible to get

novocaine
01-19-2012, 02:52 AM
i thought that was part of your stringed instrument rights of passage.

i got asked to leave for doing it in a dawsons on a guitar. i only ever learned the first 4-8 bars, didn't think i needed more :)

1931jim
01-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Thank you gyrocapt,
There is a branch in Burlington I believe that have ukes and I am told the staff are happy also. It is 1 hour from where I live.

Lanark
01-19-2012, 04:20 AM
I wonder if Stairway has been "banned" for so long that people are starting to miss it.

Not me. I do believe I could go the rest of my life without hearing it ever again and not be troubled in the least.

gyrocapt
01-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Thank you gyrocapt,
There is a branch in Burlington I believe that have ukes and I am told the staff are happy also. It is 1 hour from where I live.
I normaly go to the Burlington store, they have a better selection and the people there are really helpful

Trinimon
01-19-2012, 07:18 AM
I go test out ukes and either the clerks pull me aside and tell me to stop 'cause I'm scaring the customers away or other people laugh and say "That's why it's not a real instrument!" lol

Link
01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
I did this in some random humongous music store in Vancouver, WA once. I was half trying to get thrown out. But people actually kinda gathered around. Maybe as long as it's on a uke, it's cool. Just like every other song :)

gyrocapt
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
I love to see the faces on people when they hear something come out of a Uke that they are not expecting. Even the people in the music stores haven't a clue at what a wonderful instrument this is,

mendel
01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
I do this at least once a month. It is an awesome experience. Sometimes, I pretend I do not speak english. I walk in, plug in, play, and when people are freaking out, I nonchalantly put the Uke back on the hanger and walk out. Great feeling!

Bao
01-20-2012, 02:57 AM
At the local music stores in my area, the amps that we can plug into are in separate rooms so that means I can't plug in unfortunately. I do however, play the loudest ukulele there acoustically and I tend to attract a lot of people. The music stores should start paying me (assuming the customers buy after I leave ahah)

I usually play Jake Shimabukuro's cover of 'Thriller' since let's be honest, who doesn't know Michael Jackson?

gokidd
02-01-2012, 04:01 AM
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" -- RAP version.

Oh, manggg... You got tabs for that?

ukecantdothat
02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh, manggg... You got tabs for that?

Tabs schmabs! Scratch da strangggs, and go:

"A weema-weh..." a bunch times fo da intro n choruses, and be like, "In da cit-tay, da inna cit-tay / Da li-on sleeps tonight..."

This is actually a version I've done with a calypso band. Not exactly a rap version per se, we used a more reggae-ishy/soca-ishy beat, and it was a ton of fun. I'll bet somebody out there has done a rap version of it. In fact, excuse me while I go to the youtubes... Be right back...

Just as I t'ought, mon. This is eerily close to our beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEM2kbZa1y4
And here's the rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn3xuzFhERw

See. Nothing new under the sun as my mama used to say. The chords to the first one are Bb Eb Bb F and the second one is F Bb F C.

You're welcome! (Tabs... :nana:)