Where to get a custom made uke case?

garywj

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a Risa solid body tenor electric uke. I will be doing a review and video of it after some more play time. So far, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 10+. The fit and finish is flawless, and it plays wonderfully. However, I rate the gigbag a 1.

So..........any ideas on a case? I'd like to have a nice hardshell case that fits well. I want something that looks like most ukulele cases, not a metal or wooden box.

Thanks in advance for any information, leads and suggestions.

The only custom case makers I know of that would make a form fitting case would charge an arm and a leg. Probably more than the Risa.

Yeah, I explored this once and the problem is making a mold for the case if the instrument is not a standard size. That's why the rectangular case is usually your best bet for something like the Risa. No form needed I believe. There is a guitar case maker in Los Angeles that I talked to if you're in that area.

There was a thread a while back about using those aluminium cases that are sometimes used for electronic gear (the ones with the egg-carton, interlocking foam inside).

They aren't custom made, but you can customize them yourself by adding/removing/cutting the foam.

Lemme see if I can find the old thread...

Can't find it, but I found a link to some random site selling the kind of case i've been trying to describe:
http://junyecase.en.made-in-china.com/offer-group/UoMJuEjHqQRc/instrument-case-trade-offer-1.html

garywj,
I've sent a PM. I will post photos of the case I modified for the Uke Solid to this thread. Maybe give you some ideas that can save you some green and protect your ukulele.

So..........any ideas on a case? I'd like to have a nice hardshell case that fits well. I want something that looks like most ukulele cases, not a metal or wooden box.
Well, a Risa stick doesn't look like, nor is it shaped like, a normal ukulele, so you can't really expect a case that looks like most uke cases.

Well, a Risa stick doesn't look like, nor is it shaped like, a normal ukulele, so you can't really expect a case that looks like most uke cases.

It's not a stick. It is a tenor size uke shaped much like a Les Paul and is about 27" overall length. It is similar in size to the Ko'olau CE-2 but a little different shape.

It's not a stick. It is a tenor size uke shaped much like a Les Paul and is about 27" overall length. It is similar in size to the Ko'olau CE-2 but a little different shape.
Okay, didn't realize that. Don't know of any good options beyond the metal/wood box/camera case type of thing.

Sounds like you need a trip to a large guitar store to find out if there is a case for a small-sized guitar that would work for you or maybe a baritone Uke case, mandoline....

When you said Risa Solid, I thought you meant the Uke Solid. So, my pics won't help you. But, for those who might be inspired by them I'll attach the pics of my inexpensive custom Uke Solid case.
For the Uke Solid players out there, I sewed a couple of velcro straps into a plain old soft-sided case.

Attachments

• 102_5124.jpg
    102_5124.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 102_5126.jpg
    102_5126.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 102_5127.jpg
    102_5127.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 102_5130.jpg
    102_5130.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 35
I had hoped that Pelican made a case I could use for travel. Sizes just don't match-up. I've used them for ham radio equipment, cameras, pistols, computers and other items over the years. They are best made lockable, air-tight cases I have ever used. Most of the models have high quality "pick-able" foam. Thought about using one that would be adjustable on inside for Soprano, LN Soprano or Concert. How about getting a new design molded which would hold one uke (of the three mentioned) with its own foam gig bag as padding? (Patent-able?)

Top Bottom