Kalihi Ukulele

808boy

Reaction score
As seen on C/L Hawaii, Kalihi Ukuleles. Anyone know anything about it.
Thinking of getting one cause it's name is where I'm from,hehe...........................BO.......................

Aloha Ronnie,
Shouldn't you be answering my question first?hehehe.
The ring, I already bought a wedding set in October..............................BO...................
What about the uke?

Did you see it in print? Sure you aren't talking about Kelii?

First fo me . . . no look too bad. I wonda how come dey neva put down da price. Mebbe Stan can check dem out.

Aloha Phil,
Craigslist Hawaii shows picture of ukes and in the sound hole you can make out KALI. Did a search of Kalihi Ukuleles and found a youtube vid with someone playing a Kalihi uke.................................BO.......................

Bruddah, shouldn't you be saving up for the ring?? :confused: :D

Aloha Ronnie,
Shouldn't you be answering my question first?hehehe.
The ring, I already bought a wedding set in October..............................BO...................
What about the uke?

Priorities, right? Haven't heard of that brand. Get one Koaloha. Kalihi made.

I found it. Gorgeous, local HI maker. Maybe MMStan can shed some light. Lots of braddahs here, someone has to know of them.

I found it. Gorgeous, local HI maker. Maybe MMStan can shed some light. Lots of braddahs here, someone has to know of them.
Not really, there are probably a lot of of builders (in the 808) who do this as a hobby and work out of their homes and garages. You hear about them through word of mouth because they're so low key. Their ukes are mostly played by family and every so often gets out into the limelight and folks start asking around.

Aloha Gang,
808 boy called me to ask about the kalihi ukulele company and I talked to their marketing guy....their prices are close to 600 for a soprano and a basic tenor sells starts at 650.00
he says on their necks there are no fretboards...the frets are on the neck....they have been building ukes for 8 years I think he said.. I will meet him one weekend...and test their
ukes and will let you know...they have no shop as of yet..well they have a small place but don't advertise about it yet..he also said that the ukes have a deep resonation and substain..hope it helps...

Last edited:
Aloha Bruddah Stan, Mahalo for the info. I called them and got an answering machine, left message.
No fret boards kinda scaring me, haven't seen one like that yet. What do you guys think?
Kinda high price for an unprovened uke eh? Will still check them out when I get to Oahu in a few months or sooner.
Eh Stan, thanks eh...................................BO.........................

I have two ukuleles made in Kalihi, by Emil Bader, the brand is S & J Crafts. Never heard of Kalihi Ukuleles though. Maybe they sell them at the Aloha Stadium swapmeet?

I have two ukuleles made in Kalihi, by Emil Bader, the brand is S & J Crafts. Never heard of Kalihi Ukuleles though. Maybe they sell them at the Aloha Stadium swapmeet?

Aloha Damon,
According to bobby...they are high end ukes...not sure the swap meet thing is gonna happen....I heard to this point was word of mouth...but now they want to expand...
I asked and it wasn't Emil...but he did mention they got a filipino ukulele builder.. Stan

Last edited:
I talked to the same guy I believe and he happens to be an old friend of mines from Kalihi back in the days. To clarify your last message, They do have fretboard made of rosewood and the builder is a very good friend of his back in the days also. He mention that he keeps a low key but his Ukuleles are top of the line! You have to try one out to believe it yourself!

Unless your blind, they all have fretboard. How do you expect to play the Ukulele without a fretboard???

Unless your blind, they all have fretboard. How do you expect to play the Ukulele without a fretboard???

Just going on what bobby told me...in the picture the top is lighter maybe lighter because the bottom is foreshadowed because of the curve inwards of the heel...I have seen ukuleles with frets directly on the neck
and no fretboard...no biggie just one piece..

Last edited:
If you're trying to help your friend sell his ukes (is that why you joined this forum?), that tone isn't going to go very well here. If there was a misunderstanding about the fretboard, make a correction...just leave the attitude out of it. No one reading this forum is blind and, as Stan has pointed out, you can have frets without a fret board.

Aloha kalihiboy4755,
String instruments, i.e. violin, viola, cello, double bass don't have frets either and they are playable. I even played a Rickenbacher Fretless electric bass that was fretless...kinda, it had the frets painted on or something but NO wire frets. What Stan was eluding to was a seperate fret board glued to the top of the neck. Can't really tell by the pixs.
No harm, no foul,................................BO..............................
Still gonna check out the ukes when I can.......................KALIHI (the area) ROCKS...................

Top Bottom