Harder Saddle Material

Paul December

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing the ebony saddle on my Kala Acacia to something harder. It is my understanding that ebony already is pretty hard...
...what material would definitely be a step harder?

Posts Ive read suggested bone not all that much harder than ebony, but could produce a brighter tone. I have a Mele soprano, and I'm thinking of doing the same thing.....I want to "brighten" it.

Posts Ive read suggested bone not all that much harder than ebony, but could produce a brighter tone. I have a Mele soprano, and I'm thinking of doing the same thing.....I want to "brighten" it.

Same here. I do like its warm tone, but would like to hear what it would be like a little brighter.

Do you know a source for bone saddles?

Mainland ukulele sells bone saddle blanks. I got one that I haven't yet installed.....very affordable!

Having taught various aspect of animal ecology for many years I doubt that bone is harder than ebony, but it clearly would have different resonance properties. In fact I would think that you wouldn't want a super hard saddle but one that would help string resonance. But then again I'm an armchair expert at instruments, maybe one of the builders can help us here or you could ask your general question i.e., difference between saddle materials, in the builders lounge. cheers, g2

Do you know a source for bone saddles?

You can get bone saddle blanks from every luthier. They're quite cheap and easy to work on. I changed the saddle inlay to bone on my Kala ASAC-T and used this as an oportunity to widen the string space by cutting small groves into the new saddle inlay.

KA-ASAC-T-Saddle-Detail.jpg

I've looked at glass as a viable material.
Also a couple of metal alloys as well..
I come from a mechanical background so metalwork comes easy to me.
But the glass sadle will have to be custom made for my uke. Luckily my old colleague has become a highly proficient glass artist. So he'll hook me up..

I originally thought about writing, "what commonly used material would definitely be a step harder?" ... but then thought that would be silly ;)

Why? ... Experimentation.

Yes, that would be silly! :nana:

I love experimentation, like the glass idea above. Very intriguing. Looking forward to what you come up with!

I love experimentation, like the glass idea above. Very intriguing. Looking forward to what you come up with!

I'll let you all know how it goes.
But another thought occured to me after a nights worth of sleep..
Stone. More specifically Grorud Granitt. Or Grorud Granite for you non Norwegians..
Granite as we all know is quite hard as a material. What might be a concern is the brittleness of the material.
So working with it might be a challenge. But a challenge is a challenge..
So I'll ponder my options thouroughly

But you're right. Experimentation is fun.. :D

I'll let you all know how it goes.
But another thought occured to me after a nights worth of sleep..
Stone. More specifically Grorud Granitt. Or Grorud Granite for you non Norwegians..
Granite as we all know is quite hard as a material. What might be a concern is the brittleness of the material.
So working with it might be a challenge. But a challenge is a challenge..
So I'll ponder my options thouroughly

But you're right. Experimentation is fun.. :D

Stone is a good idea. Onyx would be a good choice, easy to work with. Most people are familiar with black onyx, which would be fine, but honey onyx has a more wood-like look which may go well with a lot of light colored grains.

Aloha Paul,
Not sure I'd want a harder saddle on a Kala...arn't they bright enough already.....however if you want extreme..I remember a post last year on glass saddles...don't know how that would work out
though....wood saddles provide a much warmer tone...to me ...

Top Bottom