Who makes actual left-handed ukuleles?

Aaron52101

Reaction score
I'm a lefty and I know some people just say it's no problem to just restring it, but I know from experience that do to sizing issues with the nut and other issues it doesn't quite work perfectly (Notably I've gotten lots of buzz). I have had the hardest time finding ukuleles actually designed to be played by a lefty, does anyone know any company or person that could help me out?

(Please no posts saying learn to play right handed)

I dont see any production(factory, massive made) uke for left-handed player only, however I am sure that you can get one in custom uke area without any problem.

As foxfair says, any custom luthier will build one for you. (Think Mya Moe) But, if you don't need a cutaway model, any conventional uke can be strung lefty. The only change you should need to make is to the nut. It'll probably need to be filed or replaced so it will fit the different string guages. If the instrument has a compensated saddle, it will need to be changed. Then, it will be lefty and good as new. You may get suggestions from UU members on how to do these jobs yourself, but I would take this to a professional. Not big or expensive jobs. Easy as you please.

Aloha Aaron,
How about changing the nut, yourself or a professional. Don't know what your financial situation is, so all the luthier referals would work but only if you can afford it. Find a uke you like and can afford and have the nut changed........................BO.......................

Thanks everyone for your responses. So as far as people that build custom ukuleles upon request, is this expensive? I bought my first uke for $90 and I find I definitely play enough to pay bigger $ than that, but I can't really spend like $400, I am on somewhat of a budget.

Otherwise any other links to left handed models from anyone would be much appreciated.

If you can afford $400, find a trustworthy luthier and describe what you need done. You're sure to get an accurate estimate of the cost of the job because this is relatively simple and common work for an experienced person. Then subtract that much from the four skins. Then, let the shopping begin. If you can't test out righty, bring someone with you. There will be lots of really good instruments within your price range and plenty of good advise here on UU. Just don't get something asymetric, like a cutaway or an electric with controls on the front that will interfere with your left hand, etc. Oh, I envy you the pursuit.

This site has a few flea/fluke that are specially strung left handed for them. They may have others. They cater to left handed guitars. Both my boys play guitar and are left handed. They ship all over but when we bought them their first guitars a few years ago we were able to drive up and talk to them and see what they had. They are great to deal with.. Here's the link http://www.adirondackguitar.com/

Good luck!

I'm a hack, but if it was me I'd get a uke with a straight saddle and just widen the nut slot a hair on the re-entrant side, you have to do it to carry a low 4th G anyway. I don't see an issue unless it's a cutaway or has a compensated saddle. I'd check into getting in line for a Bradford Donaldson uke if you are looking for a deal on a sweet custom.

Unless you're looking at a uke that is assymetrical (i.e. a cutaway) there is really no reason to spend a ton of money to get a "lefty" uke. For probably less than 50 dollars any decent guitar shop should be able to cut you a new nut. If you're adventurous it's not too difficult to do it yourself for less than five bucks.

I remember there was an ukulele seller on here that would have no problem stringing the ukulele you buy from them as a left handed one. I forgot who it was though, sorry.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I actually found a ukulele made by Bruceweiart on ebay that was advertised as a true left-handed model. I've heard that he makes good ukes for the money so I snapped it up for $100 + $85 shipping. Hopefully its a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190629925385?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I also emailed Kala and they said I could special request a left handed model of any non-cutaway model. I asked if that includes electric/acoustic models and the representative wasn't sure. That may be something to consider down the road.

Top Bottom