datuner - android app

pwcgecko

Reaction score
Anyone looking for a tuner alternative there is a free app called datuner. Just downloaded it yesterday. Seems to be accurate and if your tuner ever bresks a good backup.

I'd also recommend the gStrings free tuner app for the droid. It works really great.

I'm not technologically-savvy enough for a smart phone, but I always wondered: how do those app tuners work? Do they go off the sound, or the vibration? Do they work in loud environments?

Just curious!

I'm not technologically-savvy enough for a smart phone, but I always wondered: how do those app tuners work? Do they go off the sound, or the vibration? Do they work in loud environments?

Just curious!
Great question Licy!
As the proud owner of a new Droid, I will get the apps, check it out, and report back to you. I am curious to see how well they work, as I have many more ukuleles than tuners, and I often find myself with an ukulele but no tuner, but I usually do have my phone with me at those times.

Just curious!

They go off the sound, using the phone's mic.

I've compared the results of my droid gStrings tuner with a Snark clip on and they were in agreement with one another, so either the Snark is as iffy as a phone app, or the phone app is as accurate as a Snark.

They go off the sound, using the phone's mic.

I've compared the results of my droid gStrings tuner with a Snark clip on and they were in agreement with one another, so either the Snark is as iffy as a phone app, or the phone app is as accurate as a Snark.

I just did this same comparison, in a completely quiet room. When the Snark registered as spot-on, gStrings showed the C and E strings as being slightly sharp (but was in agreement with the Snark on the G and A strings). My ear is not nearly sensitive enough to be able to tell which was correct.

Great question Licy!
As the proud owner of a new Droid, I will get the apps, check it out, and report back to you. I am curious to see how well they work, as I have many more ukuleles than tuners, and I often find myself with an ukulele but no tuner, but I usually do have my phone with me at those times.

What kind of droid did you get Damon?

I DLed a tuner app, but haven't used it yet. I do know they go off sound and I was messing with our guitar player last night at kinship. He has an ipad with the tuner and while he was tuning up, I was hitting the strings to mess with his tuner:)

I have used DaTuner since I got a droid.
And have also done some tests vs. various tuners.
My testresults showed a surprising accuracy. On par with all my tuners..
I'm running a beta version with some added features.

For what it is it's a perfect 10 in my book.

Top Bottom