Strings really do matter!

bongolele

Reaction score
I noticed lots of people going on about what a difference new strings made to the sound of their uke. To be honest, I was skeptical. After all, a string is just a piece of nylon that vibrates when you strum it. What could possibly be different between strings that could change how it sounds?

So I replaced the generic black plastic strings on my uke with Aquila nygut and was amazed at the difference both in the 'feel' of the strings and in the sound.

I have an identical uke with the old strings and side-by-side the difference is obvious. The aquilas are brighter sounding, and louder, and have a much more pleasing tone. The old strings sound almost muted in comparison.

Wait, I know you want more :) There are a lot more strings out there waiting for you to try. I just ordered Worth clear and Martin M600. Both strings give bright tone. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. The strings on the Dolphin --they should just sell the thing with NO strings because the ones that come on it are sad. I ripped them out five minutes after I took delivery and installed the Aquilas (which I put on the same order.) Ah. WHAT a difference. From plastic toy uke to a decent little instrument.

There are a lot more strings out there waiting for you to try. I just ordered Worth clear and Martin M600.

Tell me about it. I thought it was tough deciding what uke to buy, now the whole arena of strings has opened up. And no, I'm not looking to replace them, just want to have a spare set kicking around.

I ended up with the Kala KA-S and am very happy with it. The description (ukesonline) said it came with black GHS strings but I was thrilled when it arrived with Aquilas. For the spare set I'm thinking about the SouthCoast mediums. I think (what do I know) they should be bright like the Aquilas. And they ship free internationally (hey you gotta decide somehow).

Jim B

Here is something to stir the pot. When I purchased my Koa Pili Koko it had Worth clears on them and with the rosewood bridge and fretboard, I did not think they provided enough volume so I wrote to Jason, the guy who now owns and runs the company. He came back with a suggestion for stings that was totally different for me. He said he uses them on all of his personal ukulele's. Here is what he wrote:

J4704 $1.45 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...roduct_info&cPath=1_41_103_180&products_id=88
T4601 $.95 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...duct_info&cPath=1_41_102_185&products_id=2518
T46 Trebles $2.95 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...duct_info&cPath=1_41_102_185&products_id=2512

The T46 Treble set is 3 strings, which is the bottom three on a guitar. Which the A will be T4601, E is T4602 and C is T4603. Now for the High G, you would get a duplicate T4601 string to use. For Low G, J4704 which is a bronze wound string. The good thing about guitar strings is that they sell them in singles so you can get a Low G setup and High G setup without purchasing a full set for that one string. You might recognize that the cost of the total set is cheaper than most stock ukulele strings, but price does not mean inferior. Guitar strings are cheaper as its popularity covers more market share whereas uke strings are considered specialty as most big name guitar companies don't want to get into it. The D'addario guitar strings are more reactive than any other ukulele strings.

I now have a set on order and will give them a try. I no longer own the Koa Pili Koko so I will try them on the Kanile'a tenor.

Mike Pierra [MP Ukulele] strings his up with D'Addario T2's, I'd like to try a set of these.

Last edited:
Here is something to stir the pot. When I purchased my Koa Pili Koko it had Worth clears on them and with the rosewood bridge and fretboard, I did not think they provided enough volume so I wrote to Jason, the guy who now owns and runs the company. He came back with a suggestion for stings that was totally different for me. He said he uses them on all of his personal ukulele's. Here is what he wrote:

J4704 $1.45 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...roduct_info&cPath=1_41_103_180&products_id=88
T4601 $.95 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...duct_info&cPath=1_41_102_185&products_id=2518
T46 Trebles $2.95 http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...duct_info&cPath=1_41_102_185&products_id=2512

The T46 Treble set is 3 strings, which is the bottom three on a guitar. Which the A will be T4601, E is T4602 and C is T4603. Now for the High G, you would get a duplicate T4601 string to use. For Low G, J4704 which is a bronze wound string. The good thing about guitar strings is that they sell them in singles so you can get a Low G setup and High G setup without purchasing a full set for that one string. You might recognize that the cost of the total set is cheaper than most stock ukulele strings, but price does not mean inferior. Guitar strings are cheaper as its popularity covers more market share whereas uke strings are considered specialty as most big name guitar companies don't want to get into it. The D'addario guitar strings are more reactive than any other ukulele strings.

I now have a set on order and will give them a try. I no longer own the Koa Pili Koko so I will try them on the Kanile'a tenor.
Guitar strings have been used on ukuleles for quite some time. Check out Curt Sheller's "Using Guitar Strings on Ukulele". A number of the members here use them.

Mike Pierra [MP Ukulele] strings his up with D'Addario T2's, I'd like to try a set of these.
You can get the Titaniums for ukulele at Big City String Co. Another guitar string set for ukulele use . . . Savarez.

My new (used) Stagg U60 soprano, eBay, about a $120 uke.... stock strings--abysmal. New Worth medium clears--heaven!!! Much better than my Aquilas on most of my other ukes. My black Fremont Blacklines on my Donaldson custom are also superb. Funny, I used to think Aquilas were "the bomb". Now, Worths.

Yep, strings are all the difference.

That's one of the many things I like about the ukulele. Slap on a different type of strings and it sounds like a totally different instrument for $5!

Strings really do matter!

That's what I keep telling my better half, but she still dresses as if we were going camping.

more on-topic:
I'm thinking about building a string database. Strings per uke size, diameter and a link to user comments on the strings.
If anyone wants to share info on strings (especially the diameter size and different numberings) please gmail me @ my UU-name. This is going to take some time, because the mrs. is going for a trip (must have been something I said ;) ) so I'm going to be a single parent for a week or so.

So are D'Addario and Aquila all one company now?

ps. when can the public get them?

Last edited:
It says it's a "partnership", which to me implies that both companies remain separate. Perhaps ddawson could confirm or correct? I have to say, I'm curious to know how Nyltech differs from Nylgut.

As for strings in general, I know from experience that they can make a huge difference. I think one of the biggest mistakes a uke maker can make is to fit poor strings as factory standard: it just makes people think that the uke itself is weak. I'm a firm fan of Worth strings for solid mahogany ukes and Aquilas for laminate ukes.

What I have always found with every uke I own - try several different sets on each one and trust my own ears and fingers. Sometimes the string choice I like best actually surprises me and as such I have different strings on different ukes.

Dolphin - Aquilas
Flea - Worth BM
Fluke - Worth CM
Mainland Concert - Martin Flouros
Kanile'a Tenor - Worth CM

On each one I have tried and tested many strings, and the above is what I am settling with.

BUT (big but) that isn't to say that if you bought the same ukes, you would like those choices!

Players may spend hours arguing the relative merits of one racket versus another and agonise for weeks before spending £100 or more on a new one, but surprisingly little attention is paid to string, which is really the most important piece of equipment from a competitive point of view. After all, you don't hit the ball with your racquet (at least, not intentionally); you hit it with the string.

Website solution | Web development Company | Web application

Top Bottom