Risa Bean Electric Uke.

GKK

Reaction score
Has anyone played or bought one of these Solid body Electric Ukes?

I saw one of these Risa Bean electric ukulele's at a local Hawaiian day event from a vendor and I can't stop thinking about it. It looked so, cool!

It was made just like an electric guitar and was very heavy. The fit and finish was awesome and it had wound steel strings with dual pick ups.

Here's a link I found.
http://sites.google.com/site/ukulelecorner/home/in-the-corner/tenor/risa-bean-electric

Click on the middle picture which will take you to another website. Click on Tenor Ukulele's and then scroll down to the bottom and click page 2, scroll down and click on the Risa Tenor uke for a sound sample.

Last edited:
I just received a Risa tenor solid body. It looks like a Gibson Les Paul. It is outstanding. The fit and finish is immaculate and my wife says, "it sure is pretty." HOWEVER, it sounds nothing like a uke and playing it takes me back to my guitar days. That's not a criticism, just the way the instrument strikes me. It sounds better playing classic rock-n-roll than island music. Since I grew up in the 60's, I really like it :)

Last edited:
Yes, it is exactly like an electric guitar which is probably why it isn't so, popular here.

I like it because it's another version of the ukulele like the U-Bass.

Not quite exactly, it has uke tuning and only four strings, lol! I have one and they are a kick, silky smooth like warm buttah. :D

I absolutely love mine.

Yes, it has "electric guitar hardware" as in pickups and steel strings.

However, it is very much a uke. It was made with ukulele players in mind.

I love my steel string electrics. I have both the Risa Les Paul and "Bean" (I think it's actually supposed to be an artist's palette).
I also have an Epiphone Mandobird electric mandolin set up like a lapsteel uke and a Jupiter Creek steel string electric arrived in the mail today! >_<

The Risa Bean is a semi-hollow. So it has a rich, warm sound.
I find it super versatile - when you want to play a uke but want a more sustained, electric-guitar-like tone, but without being a guitar. They are some of the best at this niche, so if you can't stop thinking about it, stop resisting :D

Last edited:
I have a red tenor one. Sounds like a electric guitar. Can tune it many ways. I currently have it tuned reentrant, but want to switch strings to low g with light wound strins and use it for slide. If your fingers are tough enough, use them. I use a pick.

Last edited:
Do you have to use a pick on the steel strings?

I don't, but it is tough on the nails and will build up calluses on your finger tips. Also, since I haven't played steel strings for months, my fretting fingers are getting more of a workout as well.

I never thought about the fretting.

The action is probably a little higher and tougher on the fingers compared to a nylon stringed ukulele.

Last edited:
The action is the same or lower than any ukuleles I own. However, the steel strings don't bend as easily as the nylon and they are very thin, feeling sharp on the nails and fingers. I predict you will enjoy playing the Risa. I sure like mine.

I never thought about the fretting.

The action is probably a little higher and tougher on the fingers compared to a nylon stringed ukulele.

Actually, it's the other way around. The action on steel string electric instruments are generally lower than for nylon string instruments.
Take guitars for instance, in general classical guitars have high action, and electric guitars have slick, low action.
Same principles apply for ukes.

Nylon strings aren't supposed to be super-low action, because you lose tension and tone.

Do you have to use a pick on the steel strings?

I play it with my fingers most of the time. I don't find it hard on my fingers at all.

Is it difficult to find replacement strings for it, or can you use some sort of guitar or mandolin strings?

Anyone know a dealer for the Risa "bean" in the USA?

Is it difficult to find replacement strings for it, or can you use some sort of guitar or mandolin strings?

Anyone know a dealer for the Risa "bean" in the USA?

Regular electric guitar strings.
Pick a set that works, set up the bridge a bit for intonation, and I stick to that set.

I have all of mine set with D'addario electric guitar strings (flatwounds, so the gauges differ a bit from roundwounds. )

Top Bottom