What to get?

tofu28

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Chris and I have recently been interested in the ukulele. I am wondering what ukulele, book, tuner, etc. I should get. I am thinking of the malaka dolphin but i'm not sure yet.
Thanks,
Chris

The Makala Dolphin gets a lot of support here as a first uke and rightly so. Put a set of Aquila strings on it and get a Snark tuner of your choosing and you're good to go!

Are you near a music store? The best way to purchase is to play it yourself in a music store. Makala Dolphins can sound fairly good for the price but I have played a few of them with the intonation off, which is not surprising for a $40 ukulele. If you can spend a bit more money, I like the Luna Tattoo Pineapple soprano which goes from $70 to $90 U.S..

Again, it is always better to play one in person. If you don't know how to play, ask a salesperson to tune it up and play some chords up and down the neck. Hopefully you can tell if it is playing in tune.

A check you can do yourself is to play an open string, then the same string at the 12th fret. The 2 notes should be the same, just an octave apart.

The Makala Dolphin is a great first choice, but a couple of pointers

1. Buy from a real music shop, not a volume dealer like Amazon - you may pay a few clams more, but trust me its worth it because of point 2
2. Get the dealer to check it over for intonation, get the action set a little lower if needed, ditto nut slots. A good dealer will be pleased to do this. If a dealer refused, i would go to another store
3. Ask the dealer to fit some Aquila strings - these will cost extra, but if he is fitting those, he can do the setup at the same time

Those things considered, they are fine little instruments. I have some handmade ukes in my collection, but have still recently gigged with my Dolphin because its damn fun, but also bombproof and better in "rougher" venues where it may take a knock.

How about a Makala MK-S? What are your thoughts about that?

I agree with a Makala Dolphin to start out and a chromatic Snark tuner. As to a book, I would actually suggest a DVD by the famous Lil Rev.

There are plenty of reviews here, on youtube and at the links I gave you. AND yes to Aquila strings; the strings on the Dolphin are a joke; but Aquilas are a big improvement. The whole thing will cost you less than a C-note and you will be able to get started. Then, as you find out more, you can decide if you like a concert size, a tenor or a soprano (the size of the Dolphin) and listen to samples to figure out what kind of tone wood. And search for a more serious instrument. Right now, I'm practicing on a Dolphin, waiting for a tenor. I am very impressed with it. And it is great for occasions where you might not want to take a more delicate instrument.

My standard recommendation is to start with something like Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp to learn basic chords. A gazillion downloads for songs with chords and nearly as many uke books. I think Ukulele for Dummies, which is fairly new, is the best starter book out there. You'll get no shortage of opinions here!

The Makala Dolphin is a great choice and budget friendly...unless you got deeper pockets..
it is a good first ukulele to decide if you are going to stick with it...you know, you always
can upgrade afer that..as most of us do....get a good clip on chromatic tuner too...hope it helps
good luck and happy strummings..

Top Bottom