New Kanile'a tenor

Scott S.

Reaction score
With the help of MGM and Hawaii Music Supply, I am now the proud owner of a Kanile'a K1-TP-SF. The instrument is constructed with premium koa, and it has the satin finish. To my eye, the wood is beautiful, and I love the satin finish. I'm in the camp of those who believe that when it comes to the tone of acoustic instruments, less finish is better.

The uke sounds bright, full and has incredible sustain. I am intrigued with the Kanile'a TRU-bracing system which is supposed to allow the top to vibrate more efficiently. Mandolin makers have used variations of "tone-bar" bracing for a long time, and I am of the opinion that the TRU-bracing is somewhat similar. In any event, it works! I also like the pin bridge and the way that strings are "hooked" under the bridge to transfer more string energy into the top. The nut width is 1 7/16" which is very comfortable to me, and the bridge string spacing seems perfect, especially for fingerpicking. The instrument was setup very nicely by MGM, and displays a very dynamic responsiveness. An now, without further adeau, here are couple pics of my new baby:

Kanile'a K-1 Tenor 1.jpgKanile'a K-1 Tenor 2.jpgKanile'a K-1 Tenor 3.jpg

Last edited:
That is some holy crap koa right there. My k1 dlx superconcert has some really really really nice figuring. But then there's that one. Wow.

Yeah they are comfortable to play. I thought I preferred smaller necks until I got mine. :)

Just WOW................Congrats....................BEAUTIFUL..............................BO....................

Welcome to the Kanile'a club.

Yours is certainly a mite prettier than mine (just the standard K1-T), but I still like mine just fine.

Congratulations! Welcome to the Kanile'a Club. I have a similarly shaped section of pale (sap?) wood on the back of my K-1. Enjoy playing and looking at your new uke.

Very nice and very jealous. I have a birthday coming up in April if you decide you don't like it. :)

WOW...that is a beauty!!! Congratulations and yes, welcome to the Kanile'a Club!!!!

Sweet. I prefer the gloss finish but with that velvety koa I don't think you even need the gloss. Congrats.

Stunning!

Hope you enjoy

Kanile'a beauty, Kanile'a quality. Enjoy.

I'm in the camp of those who believe that when it comes to the tone of acoustic instruments, less finish is better.

Congratz on the new uke! I agree that when it comes to finish on an instrument less is generally better than more as long as there's enough finish to protect the wood. However, it's a myth that satin finishes are necessarily thinner than glossy ones. In many cases a satin finish simply has a flattening agent added to it.

Adding to what Chuck stated (since great minds think alike :eek:): the only difference between the Kamaka gloss and satin finish is the last coat. Both have the same number of coats overall. Kanile'a may differ due to the UV finish.

Top Bottom