Taylor Builders Reserve Ukulele

Nice and tastefully crafted Uke. I like the inlays on the fingerboard and headstock and the overall headstock look. The rest of it is pretty and undoubtedly well-built. If you absolutely had to have uke with Taylor on the headstock, then I'm sure you'd be lusting after this.
Will be interesting to see how their regular line of ukes compares in quality and attention to detail. Obviously, their regular line won't have the same level of ornamentation, and won't be sitting at the same price point, but I would expect that it will be a quality instrument.

Thanks for posting the pix... it's nice to have a set of eyes and a band of roving reporters giving us the inside scoop.

Dean

Yes, it's a nice uke and all, but I'm not moved.

I may be in a small minority, but I would prefer something from the Islands: one of the K brand premiums, one of the other Island makers (I'iwi, Valley Made, G-String), or a custom from either Moore Bettah or DeVine, or another Hawai'ian kine builder.

It's really impossible to say from a sound file on the web, but from what I can tell, this uke sounds quite a lot like my Moore Bettah

Yes, it's a nice uke and all, but I'm not moved.

I may be in a small minority, but I would prefer something from the Islands: one of the K brand premiums, one of the other Island makers (I'iwi, Valley Made, G-String), or a custom from either Moore Bettah or DeVine, or another Hawai'ian kine builder.

I don't think anyone would take this over a custom Hawaiian ukulele. This wasn't a comparison. This Taylor uke is pretty awesome in it's own right.

Thanks for the NAMM udpate. I look forward to reading the interview with Andy & Bob.

I may be in a small minority, but I would prefer something from the Islands...a custom from either Moore Bettah or DeVine, or another Hawai'ian kine builder.
I'm with you, especially for the prices these are likely to go for in 2013. I think someone said that 2012 would be a limited run packaged with a guitar...with a five figure price tag?

It is absolutely gorgeous! As expected. I think this is the first time I've seen the Gotoh "stealth" tuners in a production uke - I'd been wondering when they'd show up on one - should be lighter than the typical alternatives except Pegheds.

I don't think anyone would take this over a custom Hawaiian ukulele. This wasn't a comparison. This Taylor uke is pretty awesome in it's own right.

Didn't say it HAD to be a custom:

"I may be in a small minority, but I would prefer something from the Islands: one of the K brand premiums, one of the other Island makers (I'iwi, Valley Made, G-String) ..."

Just my preference, but I'd opt for one of the above any day of the week and twice on sunday over the Taylor.

I'm in agreement with those that have a preference for the likes of a Moore Bettah, Devine or K-brand or a non-Island offering such as a Compass Rose, Hive, Black Bear etc., etc. but... I've come to a realization through reading various threads in this forum about this particular offering from Taylor. It's not really meant to compete with other ukes. With its limited run, packaging with a Taylor guitar and price-point, it's aimed squarely at Taylor fans and/or collectors.
To me, that's why it will be more fair to compare Taylor's regular line with other uke crafters. But maybe that's just me.

Dean

I just got my edition of Woods and Strings from Taylor and that ukulele is very nice looking...Still out of my price range, but it's a beauty, no matter what the price tag is...

Top Bottom