PDA

View Full Version : Two new ukes from Martin!

ScooterD35
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Martin unveiled two new ukes today at NAMM.

The C1K concert sized, all Koa at $629 list (around $380 street).

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=w&m=C1K%20Uke

And the T1K tenor sized, all Koa at $649 list (around $390 street).

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=w&m=T1K%20Uke

I'll be visiting the Martin Factory soon to take these for a spin and I'll report back...

Scooter

SweetWaterBlue
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Wow. $390 street price for a brand new all solid koa tenor seems like a good price if it sounds good.

Trinimon
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
What? Under $400 for a solid koa from Martin? I think my UAS just got a little spark. :)

Looking forward to your report Scooter! Thanks!

bdukes
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
<spit take> Solid koa top, back & sides? Extremely good price.

Wow. Love to hear it.

csibona
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree - wow - I would certainly would play this to test it out. I assume it isn't made in the U.S.

Pippin
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll be surprised if it is made in the USA. Still, they look good and at that price, I am interested myself.

Dan Uke
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe made in Mexico like the S-O

GVlog
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Wow! Solid Hawaiian Koa!

My suspicions mirror nongdam's, at those prices, they're probably assembled in Martin's Mexico factory.

haolejohn
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I may have decided on my next Uke if it is half way decent. That price for a solid koa is outrageously suspect. But I guess the msrp is on part with other imports.

ChrisRCovington
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I wish they would make a koa soprano in the same price point. I might be able to swing about $390 if it sounded good. The 2K is out of my price range right now :(

bynapkinart
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Hmm if they're nice then I'd be up for one...maybe they'll capitalize on their presence in the industry and we'll see more solid Koa ukes in stores. Hopefully they sound good! The S0 I played sounded pretty awesome.

micromue
01-19-2012, 09:36 PM
I LOVE that concert uke. Classy!

Doc_J
01-20-2012, 12:02 AM
At $390 for a Martin solid koa tenor, I'm thinking it has to be an import.
Martin has an American made 2K koa tenor already (list $1649, street $1249).
$900 difference between the two.

Even their S1 Mahogany soprano from Mexico sells for $379.

Makes me wonder what all is different.

haolejohn
01-20-2012, 01:20 AM
At $390 for a Martin solid koa tenor, I'm thinking it has to be an import.
Martin has an American made 2K koa tenor already (list $1649, street $1249).
$900 difference between the two.

Even their S1 Mahogany soprano from Mexico sells for $379.

Makes me wonder what all is different.

This is why I say it is outrageously suspect:)

ScooterD35
01-20-2012, 04:05 AM
I should clarify that my street price is an estimate based on dealings with Martin dealers that routinely give 40% off of list price. Among those dealers are Maury's music in Pa., My Favorite Guitars in Fl. and Elderly Instruments in Mi.

The prices on their websites and catalogs are usually Martin's MAP (Minimum Advertized Price). That is the lowest price they are allowed to advertize but if you call and ask for their lowest price you usually get 40% off.

I have calls in to verify the pricing on these new ukes and will report back as soon as I get an answer.

Scooter

ScooterD35
01-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Ok, I just heard from John Garon at My Favorite Guitars and the deal is 35% off of list price. (They are made in Martin's Mexico facility, BTW.)

That would put the C1K at about $410 and the T1K at about $422 (+ shipping of course).

They have ordered them but he doesn't know when they'll be in yet.

MFG's # is 239-530-7425.

Scooter

guitarsnrotts
01-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I'd bet money they're out of Mexico. That being said, I really like my S-O and looks like I might add another tenor to the collection.

ScooterD35
01-20-2012, 04:51 AM
Yes, they are made in Mexico.

zac987
01-20-2012, 05:23 AM
A Martin uke with geared guitar-style tuners? Come on!

RichM
01-20-2012, 05:49 AM
The pricing puts them in line with some of the better Kala ukes, as well as much of the Pono line. It's a very attractive price point for a quality uke, and I don't know if anybody else offers a solid koa uke for that much. That it's built outside the US would seem to be a given.

The proof will be in the playing, so I can't wait to get my hands on one. But a Martin all-koa concert or tenor, even Made in Mexico, for slightly above 4 bills? Yeah, you have my attention. :)

strumsilly
03-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Martin unveiled two new ukes today at NAMM.

The C1K concert sized, all Koa at $629 list (around $380 street).

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=w&m=C1K%20Uke

And the T1K tenor sized, all Koa at $649 list (around $390 street).

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=w&m=T1K%20Uke

I'll be visiting the Martin Factory soon to take these for a spin and I'll report back...

Scooter
well, there's another thread started about these, waiting for your report scooter. how do they compare with their more expensive US made ukes? the street on the T1-K is $499. nice price for a solid koa tenor. but not if the sound and quality aren't there. played their SO and was not too impressed.

PedalFreak
03-07-2012, 03:40 AM
the street on the T1-K is $399.

Actually street on the T1K is $499, and the C1K is $449 :) Both include a really nice gigbag. At NAMM when I did my Martin order, I played the new 1K's against the 2K Tenor, and I couldn't justify having them both in my shop. The differences were so minimal that I wouldn't have been able to sell the 2K after someone played the 1K. The 1K is just a GREAT bargain!

strumsilly
03-07-2012, 03:59 AM
yea, $499, my short term memory is really going. thanks

the_dude
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
From what I've heard they're going to be a lot like the SO, and made in Mexico. I don't care for the SO model myself. It sounds lifeless to my ears.
For a $500 tenor I'd much rather have a LoPrinzi Model A than a "Martin." Know what I mean?

Bill Mc
03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
$390.00 retail for a solid koa concert ? My s-1 soprano solid mahogany Martin made in Mexico sells for $379.00 retail.

PedalFreak
03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
From what I've heard they're going to be a lot like the SO, and made in Mexico. I don't care for the SO model myself. It sounds lifeless to my ears.
For a $500 tenor I'd much rather have a LoPrinzi Model A than a "Martin." Know what I mean?

I've got them instock. They are nothing like the SO ukulele. The new 1K's are great! They even made us not buy the 2K's.

$390.00 retail for a solid koa concert ? My s-1 soprano solid mahogany Martin made in Mexico sells for $379.00 retail.

If you look up a couple posts you'll see that $390 is the wrong retail price :)

strumsilly
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks pedal. Will have to check them out. i GUESS YOU CYCLE, UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF EFFECTS PEDALS. I'M GOING ON A BIKE TOUR IN 2 WEEKS HERE IN FL.

PedalFreak
03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks pedal. Will have to check them out. i GUESS YOU CYCLE, UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF EFFECTS PEDALS. I'M GOING ON A BIKE TOUR IN 2 WEEKS HERE IN FL.

I've had that name online forums for years :) It was because I was a serious Effects pedal junkie. I've owned over 250 different pedals, owned 125 at one time! Those days are gone, sold them all, and own 12 now :)

allanr
03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I played the new Martin MIM tenor in a music store yesterday. It sounded very nice, looked great, and felt very good too. Action was a bit high, but that can be adjusted,

BTW I own an SO, have owned a vintage Style 1, and have played the new S1. The vintage sounded much better than either the S1 or the SO, but I found the S1 to be very nice, and love the extended fretboard on it. My SO sounds great and is my travel uke. It is sturdy and dependable and has excellent projection for a soprano.

Like Fender, the Martin factory in Mexico allows US based managers, trainers, inspectors, and quality control at the Mexican factory with a quick hop across the border.

guitarsnrotts
03-07-2012, 03:17 PM
I played the new Martin MIM tenor in a music store yesterday. It sounded very nice, looked great, and felt very good too. Action was a bit high, but that can be adjusted,

Like Fender, the Martin factory in Mexico allows US based managers, trainers, inspectors, and quality control at the Mexican factory with a quick hop across the border.

There's a short video on the Martin web site where Chris Martin explains their moving some of their production south of the border.

ichadwick
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Wow! Solid Hawaiian Koa!

My suspicions mirror nongdam's, at those prices, they're probably assembled in Martin's Mexico factory.

Yes, that is what the Martin site says.

Doc_J
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Looks like Elderly has (had, now on order to arrive 4/6) these new low cost koa Martins in stock.
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/C1KUKE.htm

philpot
03-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Very pretty. Any firsthand experience anyone? Thoughts?

ukuraleigh
03-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I've been looking at getting a soprano Martin, and this announcement got me wondering if Martin had announced an S1K version. It doesn't appear so, but the I found this: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/130000/A-new-uke-that-should-not-be#.T20fpBB5mK0

Has anyone else heard of a soprano version?

ChrisRCovington
03-24-2012, 02:10 AM
I emailed Martin about it. I didn't get much of an answer. This is from the sales rep who emailed me back:

"Don’t know what we are planning for Mexico, we are not told until the models are introduced. Keep watching as we come out with new models twice a year as you might know already."

Maybe in the summer? I've already asked to be notified if one comes out because I really want one.

PedalFreak
03-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Very pretty. Any firsthand experience anyone? Thoughts?

My shop has these, I've sold out of the Concerts. I've got one Tenor left. These are great ukes, at a great price. Really full sound, not as open sounding as my Kamaka, but it's just as loud.

I emailed Martin about it. I didn't get much of an answer. This is from the sales rep who emailed me back:

"Don’t know what we are planning for Mexico, we are not told until the models are introduced. Keep watching as we come out with new models twice a year as you might know already."

Maybe in the summer? I've already asked to be notified if one comes out because I really want one.

We have the S1K's on order. Didn't know anything about them until recently, they weren't even talked about at NAMM. Looking forward to getting them though :D

Ken Middleton
03-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I had the chance to play both these Ukes today. Yes, they are Hawaiian koa, and it is not bad quality. The Ukes are very plain, almost drab in fact. However, in my opinion, they are easily the best Martin Ukes to come out of Mexico.

The Frankfurt Musikmesse trade show has just finished and Martin had a big stand. It is a huge event. I spoke with Martin's R and D guy and he confirmed what he told me last year, that they have never really been happy with their Mexican ukes. They seem pretty happy with these new ones though. They are nowhere near as good as the US made style 2 models though. But you wouldn't expect it at the price.

I personally wouldn't buy one of these Ukes, but I can understand that some people would.

Hope this helps.

PedalFreak
03-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Just got word that I should have the new Martin S1K Koa ukes in this week!! :D

ukuraleigh
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Just got word that I should have the new Martin S1K Koa ukes in this week!! :D
How much will they cost? Thanks.

GX9901
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I was in Oahu last week and wasn't planning on buying any ukes, but ended up bringing back a Martin C1K with me. The particular one I bought had one-piece top and backs and pretty decent curly koa on the soundboard. What sold me on it was the superior sound that came out of the particular one I purchased. It was from Ukulele Pua Pua and I played it back to back with a couple of KoAlohas (concert and super-sopranos in regular and pineapple). The KoAlohas were as good as any KoAlohas I've played before, and the Martin hung right with them, which shocked me to no end. I also tested the style 2 Martin concert that was hanging next to the C1K, and to me the C1K wins, plain and simple.

Ukulele Pua Pua had another C1K at their other location and I went over to try it. That one was decent but not as great looking or sounding as the one I got, so I guess I would say this is a uke you need to play in person before buying. I overpaid for it compared to what I could have bought it for from many online shops, but it was worth the extra given the particular one I got. Once I got home, I played it next to my Mya-Moe myrtle concert and the Martin sounded clearly better to me, with more volume and clarity in the notes when strumming. (kind of sad, actually, since a Mya-Moe is supposed to be much superior)

Anyway, in a blind test against those KoAlohas I played at Pua Pua, perhaps I would have chosen the KoAloha. But the C1K was essentially at the same level and since the Martin has much prettier wood and I already own a KoAloha, I took the Martin. I would not have believed that I'd be buying a uke made in Mexico while visiting Hawaii, but that uke kind of forced my hand.

PedalFreak
03-27-2012, 04:51 AM
How much will they cost? Thanks.

They just sent me an email saying that it doesn't exist???? Even though I've got photos of them, and know people that have them? Not sure what is going on with it now...

PedalFreak
03-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Ok, the S1K DOES exist. But Martin just told me that they are out of stock of them :( I've got 2 on order, so hopefully it isn't too long of a wait.

BeetleBrain
04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I just picked up a Martin C1K yesterday from my local shop and it's got a really nice tone. Played it back to back with a nice Collings UC1K and it sounded and played just as well (at least to my ears and fingers). Really great loud sound.

They had gotten about four in in January but for some reason did not have it out until just recently. They said they had three other concerts that sold pretty quickly and don't anticipate any more in until probably September. Apparently it's taking some time now due to the demand to get these fellas out.