PDA

View Full Version : Slots in saddle

finkdaddy
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
I was just wondering if anyone ever puts slots in their saddles?
I thought it might help with string spacing or to eliminate any chance of the string vibrating and causing buzz.
Do people ever do that, or am I thinking to much about it?

~Fred

Liam Ryan
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Maybe on an instrument with a tail piece.

On an instrument with a fixed bridge there should be enough force acting on the saddle that the string doesn't move or buzz but not so much that it overly deforms or damages the top.

BlackBearUkes
01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Slots in the bridge saddle are called wear.

luthier
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
In classical guitar world, yes, some puts slots in the saddle, especially for those scalloped(between strings) ones. Even for a normal straight saddle, it's not a bad idea when the breaking angle of your treble strings is not too high and the saddle is hard.

PhilUSAFRet
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Recently saw some pictures of a few cigar box guitars with lotted saddles....using tailpeice.

ryanvt
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
My wife just bought a pono baritone from Hawaii music supply. It has some string buzz. We changed strings, even adjusted the truss rod a bit as suggested by hms. Still buzzing. Today she called me to say she noticed little notches on the bridge. I didn't think that was right but I noticed them even under the non wound strings so I figured they were put there on purpose... Does this new instrument have "wear"? Any suggestions???

BlackBearUkes
01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
My wife just bought a pono baritone from Hawaii music supply. It has some string buzz. We changed strings, even adjusted the truss rod a bit as suggested by hms. Still buzzing. Today she called me to say she noticed little notches on the bridge. I didn't think that was right but I noticed them even under the non wound strings so I figured they were put there on purpose... Does this new instrument have "wear"? Any suggestions???

What is the bridge saddle made of? Plastics wear fast, some woods do to. Because the saddle has slots in it does not necessarily mean that the string will buzz.
You can replace the saddle or turn it around and if the buzz goes away, it was the saddle. IMO, uke saddles should not have slots cut into them.

ryanvt
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Im pretty sure the pono saddles are bone.

dustartist
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
I would not put any slots in the saddle on an ukulele or an acoustic guitar. I would do it to match a fingerboard radius on a Les Paul or another bridge where the saddle height was not adjustable. Otherwise not necessary IMHO...

mik55
01-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I was just wondering if anyone ever puts slots in their saddles?

I did it on a bone saddle inlay for my Kala ASAC-T because I was not happy with the string spacing. The strings run down the neck in parallel, not following the outer edges of the fretboard which look kinda goofy to me, so I decided to to give them a little more space inbetween by widening the string space at the saddle. Works fine and the additional space between the strings is great for picking. At least for me.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/n6kvH938z67Rg/KA-ASAC-T-Saddle-Detail.jpg