PDA

View Full Version : Higher Priced Mahalo Ukes

SamWise
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
One of the Ukes I've got for review is a Mahalo U320, which is apparently all-solid mahogany, and comes for 40 including a hard case. It actually seems quite good - the intonation is ok (not perfect), it will stay in tune, and it's loud, though the tone is not magnificent. I haven't tried the low-end Mahalos, but this seems like good value for 40.

What I wondered is, has anyone tried either the cedar topped Mahalo, or the Mahalo mahogany tenor? My impression with the U320 is that with decent strings, it could be a very playable Uke, that you might use as a beater for the car, the beach etc. I'm wondering if these other two are better?

HumbleSounds
09-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Figured I would throw out the currency conversion for those reading.

40pounds = 72.38dollars
= 88.43 australian
= 50.74 euros

Conversion rate as of 9/28/08

Personally I have never played a mahalo so thanks for the review. Or should I say mahalo. ;)

grappler
09-29-2008, 12:08 AM
ALL SOLID MAHAGONY FOR UNDER 100 AUS???????
hook me up!!!

my low end mahalo tenor was $110 and its LAMINATED!
lol
i got ripped off
well its priceless now, its signed by jake.
but would love to hear what the solid one sounds like

SamWise
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry, no, it's laminated. My mistake.

grappler
09-29-2008, 02:29 AM
thts cool =]

got a little excited thts all

SamWise
09-29-2008, 02:44 AM
The tenor (the only Mahalo one I can find) is about 40 too, whilst the Cedar and Koa soprano is around 65. That sounds like a fabulous price for an all-solid soprano, and I love cedar tops on guitars, but it would need to be better built than the U320 in order to edge the Ohana out of the running.

grappler
09-29-2008, 02:54 AM
thats true.. boy i would love to get stuck on a soprano, the size is amazing.. too bad im not too good at em. lol
ohh well, i sstill love my tenors

ive heard some bad feedback on ohanas but then again, its personal pref.

SamWise
09-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Actually, I'm now finding two tenors. There's the 2017t, which is all laminate, but I've also found the U320t:

http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=357&category_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27

Which claims to be all-solid (as does the U320 soprano), but is the same price as the 2017t. Hmmmm.

I still want to know more about the cedar/koa soprano, too....

jhob
09-29-2008, 05:49 AM
I have the 320T and, for the price, it's not bad but does leave a lot to be desired. The finish on mine is very poor with evidence of over-sanding along some edges and messy glue marks here and there. The sound isn't great - it's a quite dead sounding, aquilas improve it a great deal over the standard strings. Mine also came with a slipping tuning peg, the retailer sent me a new one. To set the uke up I had to take down the action at the nut and saddle, but then I find I have to do this with every uke I buy, I also had to file down the third fret a bit as the A string was buzzing on it.

It is definitely not solid too, mine is a laminate for sure.

All that said I’m reasonably happy with it now, it’s the only tenor I have and I’ve strung it low G which gives me a bit of variety from my applause soprano. It will never be my favourite uke but it is enjoyable to play, particularly with picking melodies. For £50 you can’t really complain too much.

SamWise
09-29-2008, 05:59 AM
True. I wonder whether the U320 soprano I have is really solid? It seems unlikely for the price, and it doesn't sound very full. I wonder what advantages it really offers over the cheaper ones? It comes in a hard case, which I guess is enough to account for the extra 20-25 on its own......

jhob
09-29-2008, 07:52 AM
The hard case with my U320T is really quite decent, looks solidly built and fits the uke well. It also provided the ideal place for ukulele underground sticker to go!