Bradford Donaldson, pays it forward

ukebuilder

Reaction score
I made a post a few weeks ago asking if any local builders would like to get together. I got a quick response from Bradford inviting me down to the coast. I have built many types of instruments but not a side bent one. I am new to traditional ukes and was wanting a few pointers. He welcomed me into his home for a few days to learn and chat. Well I have to say we both have the gift to gab. We started to plan what would be the best time for it to happen and we decided to meet Tuesday17th. He said I was welcome to stay through the week if I wanted. I was able to stay over night and all the next day. I learned more than I can put in words but I am going to try and I have lots of pics. I will try to list them in stages. I headed the advice of a few and brought down two large pieces of some beautiful myrtle wood for him to try and pay him for his time. Little did I know how nice the myrtle was till he started to slice it up due to his excitement after seeing it. All I can say is he is making me one now using that wood. I brought down a bunch of wood to play with and he sad well lets build one. He said that you learn from doing so lets do it. We choose some nice Koa I had sliced up and ready to go. I had also brought some ceder and bear-claw spruce. We decided to just make a all koa uke. He asked what style I liked and I had to go with his vintage model. We took the koa and decided what we wanted for the top and bottom and cut them to length and got them glued up. We then decided what the sides would be and cut them as well.
CIMG2179.jpg
After some dry time he showed me how he thickness sands them. First I need to tell you, You dont need a tun of tools to build a uke. I was shocked at how he uses his sander. I was thinking I had to but all these tools and make a bunch of jigs and such and wow, was I wrong. When I asked him where his sander was he pointed to his 6x48 belt sander. Little did I know that this was the answer to many more questions. I would ask how he did this and he would point to his sander. Here are a few pics.
CIMG2166.jpgCIMG2169.jpgCIMG2210.jpgCIMG2212.jpg

After getting the sides to thickness we started to bend them and got them in the form and started to get them glued up. CIMG2170.jpgCIMG2171.jpgCIMG2172.jpgCIMG2173.jpgCIMG2173.jpgCIMG2174.jpg

CIMG2176.jpgCIMG2177.jpgCIMG2178.jpgCIMG2186.jpgCIMG2187.jpg
After bending and getting them in the form we looked at sanding the top and getting it to thickness and then the sound hole.

I have used a dremel tool but I love how he does it and was even more excited that I own three of them and having them set up and ready will be easier with multiples of them.
CIMG2215.jpgCIMG2216.jpg
We got the top ready for bracing and he showed me his great idea for go bars. I have to say I have made them myself just sense I have been home.
CIMG2193.jpgCIMG2217.jpgCIMG2218.jpg

Just like most things he makes it on the sander.
CIMG2219.jpgCIMG2220.jpg
We got as much done as we could but time was not on my side as the roads to the coast were closing and they were my way home so I sadly had to say goodbye. I had a great time and I would have to say I made a friend. I can not thank Brad for what he has done other than to become a better builder and use what he has given me. I do have one last pic and this was laying on his bench when I got there and I can not tell you how many times that I picked it up and played around with it. I am sure he is going to hate that I post this as he is not really wanting to make more but here goes. LOL
CIMG2222.jpg
I am first on the list if he does make them just so you all know. The body is the one we made and this shows how little this is. It is awesome and I am not sure why I am drawn to it but it was like a magnet all the time I was there. I will continue this thread as I finish this uke on my own but I have to say thanks to Brad for even being willing to do this and to take the time when he is so busy. By the way if you have a uke on order with him I am sorry to take him away for a couple days but he said he needed the break and welcomed the time to visit. I might have seen yours laying around and the little koa one is great and you will love it. If you are a builder and you remember someone showing you a few things then you should be willing to pass it on as well. Even if it is in a class or like Brad just willing to chat and show a few things then please do it. I myself have showed a few people how to make cigar box stuff and even taught my dad and now he is hooked. You never know what your words or gestures can do. They might light a spark that will carry on farther than you will. THANKS BRAD.

Wow! What an opportunity! I can vouch for the amazing instruments that Brad has built. He is a talented luthier!

I had a great time working with Kevin. Fortunately, the power stayed on during the stormy weather. I wish we would have had time to close up the body, but he had to get home between the snow storms. I will be following his progress on his uke with great interest.

Brad

I had a great time working with Kevin. Fortunately, the power stayed on during the stormy weather. I wish we would have had time to close up the body, but he had to get home between the snow storms. I will be following his progress on his uke with great interest.

Brad

Will it ever stop raining? Hows life on the coast? Most of the roads to the coast down here are washed out

Will it ever stop raining? Hows life on the coast? Most of the roads to the coast down here are washed out

Heck, most of the roads from Portland to Beaverton are washed out!

Brad is great - I've gotten to play with that mini pineapple, too - it's fantastic.

Well after posting this thread today I went into the shop and got to work. I will be gluing the top on in the morning and I have the back to thickness. I am wanting to add an end graft to the body before I glue the top on so I glued up a piece to work and will be adding it tonight so I can get it sanded and then the top on the morning. I will post pics as soon as both those steps are done. I had to make a form because his Vintage model has a little waist and nothing I have is even close. I love the look of it. I also got to work on a new bender that brad showed me in an article. It makes more sense to me than all the others I have seen. I would have to say I am more than fired up about building. I am glad I found this place and also the people that make it great.

Well I got to work on the vintage model today and I am loving how it looks. I am going to make more of them for sure. I love the skinny little waist.

Top Bottom