Getting ready to buy a Rally banjo uke, need some advice before I plunge

Ken Swagger

Reaction score
Hey guys;

So I've had my eyes set on one of the Rally Banjo Ukes that have been going on ebay. A good deal of that decision was dude to this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9d1hLkj6wI -- because I like the sound a lot (actually seems to sound more like a banjo than a lot of more inexpensive ones I've checked out that just sound like tinny ukes).

People seem to say nice things about the guy that sells em, taisamlu. My problem is I've had my heart set on a DUB-2F, like the video, but now that I finally have money they seem to only have the DUB-1F. I prefer the "2" models darker wood and chrome fittings, but if they sound the same (which it seems to claim, linking the "1" model to a soundbite for the "2"), then I might be able to learn to love the more aged, kinda hokier look.

My questionsare: 1) does anyone know if the two models sound essentially the same and 2) does anyone have an email for taisamlu? I tried to contact him through ebay but no dice, only automated form FAQ available.

Or, I guess another would be does anyone know of another seller, or a similarly-priced, ready-to-buy banjo uke of equal or better quality?

I'd wait and see if another comes up but have been waiting forever. Plus, my band is in the middle of writing and recording a new album and I really want the different tambre of a banjo uke on some songs.

Is the resonator only difference between the 1 model and the 2 model? If so, there is a notable difference in sound when I take the resonator off of my DUB-2F. It still sounds good without the resonator on, but like I said different.

I will say I think that they are a great value. It will probably need some set up work out of the box though. Mine needed to be lowered at the nut, which is no big deal if you are experienced in doing a set up. I think I shaved a bit too much off of my nut which resulted in some ringing at the pot.

Is the resonator only difference between the 1 model and the 2 model? If so, there is a notable difference in sound when I take the resonator off of my DUB-2F. It still sounds good without the resonator on, but like I said different.

I will say I think that they are a great value. It will probably need some set up work out of the box though. Mine needed to be lowered at the nut, which is no big deal if you are experienced in doing a set up. I think I shaved a bit too much off of my nut which resulted in some ringing at the pot.

Sounds good, if Im at a loss I'll have someone help me with setup. Did you buy yours from taisamlu, and if so do you happen to have an email to contact them? I was thinking if I could contatc them I could see when and if more 2Fs will be available.

I tried 3 different Rally banjos. The DUB-JP soprano, the DUB-2 concert and the DUB-1F. The better sounding is the DUB-JP and the better looking is the DUB-1F, but it found it sounded a dead - maybe it is because the skin was too loose.

The neck is too thick and unconfortable on all of them, specially the DUB-2. I think you should get a Win Van der Leden (www.banjolele.net) or a Goldtone.

There is a line of banjos and banjo ukuleles sold under then name of Morgan Monroe or Eddy Finn. One buyer has a GoldTone. "Says they look like they are from the same factory..except for price. Rememmber add 60.00 to what you buy from Sam, and if you are not happy, it is another $60 to send it back. If you are interested in seeing what is available, drop me a line and I will give you the website address so you can see what they have. Yes, I am a dealer as well as a player.

Top Bottom