Renaissance Dance on Lute-kulele

JamieFromOntario

Reaction score
I was inspired by a Uke Talk thread on classical music to make my first video.

Renaissance music is one of my special interests. I was lucky enough to score a Lute-kulele from another UU-er a few months back. It's a fun, though somewhat different, instrument.

I haven't play on it a tonne as there are six strings and the string tension is rather high - I find if I play for too long, my tendonitis will flare up.

Anyway, the piece i've recorded here is "Branle de Champaigne" by Adrian LeRoy, written in 1552. It is written for a Renaissance guitar (kind of like an 8 string baritone uke).

Here's the vid (let's see if I can embed this properly...nope):

http://vimeo.com/35392804

(I've missed a few notes...guess i'll have to keep practicing)

Here's a transcription of the music in TAB for low-g/baritone ukes:

*****There is an error in this TAB. In the first full bar in the first line on the third eighth note of the bar, I mistakenly shift the TAB down by one line. I'm not going to re-upload the whole TAB anytime soon. The first full bar should be identical to the second bar in the secondly line, namely:
____1____0____
3________1____3
2_____________0
____0_________

http://www.box.com/s/1shefe6p7hi5lnsd3cir

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Fabulous! I want one! ( and an Epiphone les paul uke, and another purple Dolphin ) Well played sir.

ps just had a quick bash through the tab, and it's fine on a soprano too.

Last edited:
Thanks Ted. It's a fun uke to play - not surprisingly very well suited to this type of music.

I'm happy to hear your tried out the Tab - it should great on just about any uke, though I really think that a low-g/linear tuning is best.

I'd be curious to hear what the Branle sounds like played on a less punchy sounding uke that has more sustain...

Thanks for watching, folks.

Tim, the lute-kulele doesn't have metal frets - it has tied on nylon/fluorocarbon frets. They work great, but are a little weird since the string that acts at the fret bar wraps all the way around the back of the neck.

Bravo, very good. :)

Very nice sir. Thanks for the tab.

Thanks for watching, folks.

Tim, the lute-kulele doesn't have metal frets - it has tied on nylon/fluorocarbon frets. They work great, but are a little weird since the string that acts at the fret bar wraps all the way around the back of the neck.

I thought it was something like that. My sitar's frets tie on and you can slide them either way to change the scale. Cool instrument you have there.

I thought it was something like that. My sitar's frets tie on and you can slide them either way to change the scale. Cool instrument you have there.

Is your sitar from Mid-East Instruments, Tim?

On the lute-kulele, you can't move the tied-on frets around; there are notches at the edge of the finger board that the tied-on frets sit in to hold them in the correct place.

Is your sitar from Mid-East Instruments, Tim?

On the lute-kulele, you can't move the tied-on frets around; there are notches at the edge of the finger board that the tied-on frets sit in to hold them in the correct place.

No, it was a gift from a friend, an actual sitar from India, not the sitar uke from Mid-East, although that is also an intriguing instrument. I also wasn't aware that the lute-kulele had double second and third strings. It sounds very cool.

Top Bottom