Ko'olau Gold strings + Mainland Mango = Nice

OldePhart

Reaction score
I've had a set of Ko'olau Gold tenor (all plain) strings kicking around the office for about a year. I finally decided to try them out on the Mainland mango tenor. Honestly, I didn't really expect to like them a lot because I really seem to prefer fluorocarbon strings on most of my ukes. But, I've got to say that so far I like these a lot, at least on this uke.

Actually, I wonder if they're not some kind of hybrid, because they actually feel closer to fluorocarbon to me than pure nylon and Ko'olau was going to discontinue them because of the cost (now, I'm really glad that they reversed that decision).

Tone falls somewhere between nylon and fluorcarbon, too. More mellow than the clear fluorocarbon strings that were on it, but not dull like nylon can sometimes be.

Initially, intonation at the 12th fret is quite good - we'll see if that remains true after they stretch in fully. If the intonation remains true after the strings stabilize I think I'm going to order a few sets as they're the best sound I've found so far for this particular uke.

John

Ah, star-crossed ukulele and strings, a classic love story.

Congrats on your good match-making!

I just put a set of those on my Kala Concert to replace the almost-year-old Aquila's that came on it.

I like them so far sound-wise but they feel hard to me.

I just put a set of those on my Kala Concert to replace the almost-year-old Aquila's that came on it.

I like them so far sound-wise but they feel hard to me.

I think you'll get used to the feel. Aquila has always felt "soft" to me on soprano and concert - their tenor sets seem about average or maybe just a tad soft. Of course, for me what really counts is how they sound and how well they intonate. I've played steel-string guitar for years so I've yet to encounter a set of uke strings that really feel hard. :)

John

Following up, been playing a lot for a bit over a week and still not loving the feel of the golds. Good thing I bought 4 different sets of string sto play with. :)

Going to try the Martin Flourocarbons next. I put a set on my son's Dolphin and love how they sound on there.

It's wonderful there are so many choices!

Here's a link to the first video I've shot with these strings on this uke:

The built in mic in the camera doesn't really do the uke justice. It was these strings that prompted me to do this song - the riff didn't sound right on my other ukes but when I was fooling around with this new combination the rifts felt a lot "meatier."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4jM-BJ5QI&feature=youtu.be

Love the uke and love that song....Good job.

Top Bottom