Help! Newbie Uke shopping!!

1937Scott

Reaction score
I need help. Long time (over 35 years) guitar player just discoverd true love and fun with ukulele.

I have a Lanikai Curly Concert and I built a laminate kit soprano. The concert sounds great, the soprano is more FUN!

I'm bent on getting a soprano koa Hawaiian uke, and I've narrowed my search to just a couple, here's where I need help:

My budget it $500, would you get a NEW Koaloha Soprano ($500), or find an equivalent priced Kamaka...???? (There are vintage/older white labels in about the same range...)

I like darker (curly) Koa, but when it gets really fancy (Kanilea, etc) the price gets way out of my range.

Suggestions? I need a Ukulele Mentor!

Thanks, I'm all ears,

Scott

Happy hunting !

Last edited:
Are you living someplace where you can try some out? If so, what brands do they carry. Everyone's tastes are different and it is really nice to try out out before buying. (or maybe a winter trip?)

Nothing exciting where I live. All Chinese or similar imports to play with. A few vintage models.

Ukeon is only muddying up the water showing me pretty Hawaiian Ukes that are 'Coming Soon'! Anyway, I get very little time off work (4 days a month, NOT together), so traveling to check them out isn't going to happen.

My true struggle is this; I appreciate the new quality of a Koaloha, but even more I like the redder, darker older Kamakas. I was hoping for some insight from users here. I've watched every youtube video out there, I definitely hear a difference, but that's on a video. I'd rather hear it in person. My Lanikai Curly Concert has a wonderful sound and sustain. But I have a BLAST playing a soprano.

So, to totally answer you, the best selection for me is at the local Guitar Center. They have a 1950 Martin Standard that I've played, it's nice enough. (And it's $700)

But I'd rather have a Koa Hawaiian.

I thing koa Hawaiian is the way to go. Can't ever go wrong with the first one you mention, Koaloha. Why go searching all over for something used when you have a known, high quality instrument already in your sights. I'd get it and never look back. You'll be really glad you did.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the big three K-brands (KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanilea), whether new or well-kept used. Frankly, you will pretty much be thrilled with anything from those makers (I've seen reports of one or two finish problems with Kamaka fairly recently, but they were very quickly made good by the mfr).

If customer service and standing behind their product is important to you, most folks agree that KoAloha simply can't be beat in that department. This is not to say that the other two are bad, just that KoAloha is almost crazy in this respect.

Used is certainly an attractive option if the uke has been well maintained. Coming from the guitar world you may not be aware of one thing - cracking is a fairly serious problem with ukes - much more so than I've encountered with guitars. Solid wood ukes tend to be made of very thin woods that are subject to drying out and then cracking. As long as you keep the instrument humidified this is not an issue - but it does mean that you want to be very careful when shopping for used instruments.

Many, many used ukuleles, even from top manufacturers, have cracks. If the crack has been professionally stabilized this often does not impact playability and sound quality at all - there are some who swear a cracked Martin or what have you is ten times better than a recently manufactured asian uke, for example. I don't think I'd go that far, but well repaired cracks aren't a problem for tone, usually. They can and do, however, affect resale value. I.e. if you purchase used examine the uke very carefuly and discount what you are willing to pay for any uke that is either cracked or appears to have been indifferently cared for (I have one used uke that cracked a few days after I received it when I was polishing it - I should have been more careful for it came from Mass. and was obviously a "closet queen"). It's still an excellent uke and definitely a keeper, but it does have a crack in the back now. :(

So, big-3 - no problems new but examine used ukes carefully regardless of mfr and discount what you're willing to pay for one if it's cracked.

Last edited:
Looooottttttsssss of Vintage Kamaka sopranos on ebay. One guy got one yesterday for $229 with free shipping. Even in great shape, within your price range. Have you considered Kamaka Pineapple? Sound awesome!

Okay here is my two cents. I had a Kamaka from the 80's and think the newer Kamaka's are way nicer and worth the higher price tag. I purchased and sold a newer Pineapple Kamaka with case for $530. I purchased my very favorite uke, a Kamaka soprano for under $500. It does seem since Kamaka raised their prices used prices have gone up too. I have played KoAloha's and have a KoAloha concert. They are very nice but the Kamaka is warmer so I personally prefer the Kamaka. If you go used you need to be less concerned about the wood color or curl. If the look of the wood is a high priority you probably will have to buy new. Watch Flea marketplace and UU marketplace. Know what you want and be prepared to jump when a uke you want comes up. Be patient, The best deals don't last long. As soon as you give up and buy new three will come up used. Murphy's law. Good luck. The shopping and researching and sweet torture is half the fun.

Last edited:
If you've three-quarters decided on a used Kamaka soprano, I suggest you put up a Want To Buy post on the Marketplace part of the forum. There may be UU members who have one that they could part with, but don't want to go to the hassle of posting it. There are all sorts of great ukes out there!

I concur that you should go for a higher-end uke and try to save some by buying it used.

I purchased ad 1950's vintage gold label Kamaka soprano and I learned a great deal (I know I may get some who vehemetly disagree with me on this one). Although it was all koa and in great condition, there was no way in the world that 1950's ukulele compared with the sound you get today from a Kamaka and most especially a KoAloha. these two companies are building them so much better today. The old ukes have a lot of nostalgia value, and value for being vintage and are nice to have if you are a collector, but I don't think the sound matches today. If you got a Kamaka fro the 1970's forward I think you would have a very good (great) sounding uke. I say just the opposite for the Martins, the older the better, but if you want to make this uke a daily player, go with a more recent KoAloha or Kamaka. I prefer the sound of the KoAloha over the Kamaka in the soprano size, but that is just me and my ear.

Wow! Some very solid advice....yes, I just got back from ebay, there is a GORGEOUS white label Kamaka ending this weekend that will probably go for near $1,000.....You should see the wood!! I never saw elderly's site, but looks like a good direction to look. Going there right after I post this reply.

Yeah, I have 30+ year old guitars with zero crack issues, I didn't realize Ukes were like that. Add to that I live in the Driest State in America (Nevada, 6 inches or LESS rain a year in Reno, average very low humidity!) and I suppose I should be very cautious for cracks.

I have heard the Koaloha in soprano, it is definitely a brassier sound. I prefer the warmer, softer sound of a Kamaka. I'm not sold on the crown head, and I admire pineapples and crowns and such, but I'm pretty traditional for looks. (Ok, I gotta admit, if Koaloha had just a little darker wood, with curly as an option, I'd probably jump.) But, I think a Ditson Soprano Dreadnaught body is the prettiest traditional Uke out there.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, but maybe I could order a custom made...a whole new can of worms. Anyone familiar with Talsma? Greg Hawkes has one of his Ukes and swears by it. Dave Talsma is pretty open to make whatever I want..........seems very competent and capable. Help! I have UkePox!!!

For the price of a Kanilea I could have Talsma build me EXACTLY what I want, then wait 6 months or a year to get it.

Now what? Sorry to pester, I am enjoying the like-minded conversation.

Ok, after two weeks of shopping (prior to posting), and talking with anyone that would stop long enough to engage, here's what I've done:

I got a Koaloha Noah, it happened to be available and in-stock instead of the 6-8 week wait. I'll post how it plays (or how I can play it) soon. I am also talking with a custom builder (Dave Talsma) about a custom Koa Soprano. His back log will give me time to have the cash, and a world class Uke.

Chalk up another victim of UAS....

Ok, after two weeks of shopping (prior to posting), and talking with anyone that would stop long enough to engage, here's what I've done:

I got a Koaloha Noah, it happened to be available and in-stock instead of the 6-8 week wait. I'll post how it plays (or how I can play it) soon. I am also talking with a custom builder (Dave Talsma) about a custom Koa Soprano. His back log will give me time to have the cash, and a world class Uke.

congratulations on the purchase. You will love the KoAloha. A great instrument. If you are looking for an affordable yet top quality custom, check out Brad Donaldson (Bradford on UU). www.Donaldsonukuleles.com. i think you will be surprised by what you find there. I have one on order that I hope to get in July.

KoAloha is a great choice. Honestly, you've probably avoided a lot of the UAS temptation by going straight to the good stuff. While there are some people who have a "collector" or "hoarder" mentality I think the majority of uke "sufferers" simply haven't worked up to getting a really top-notch uke (or three) yet. The typical progression is you buy the Makala, you discover its limitations, you buy the Kala, you discover its limitations, and so on.

While you can get a lot more bling on a luthier built instrument; by going straight to one of the "big K" Hawaiian made ukes you've pretty much bypassed all those "gee, this uke isn't good enough" steps. :)

John

I am on Dave Talsma list too! You will save money in the long run if you get nice ukes right away. As long as you are sure what size you prefer, you will be happier in the end. I am glad you found a Noah. I am sure that will sound different than the Talsma, because KoAloha has a distinctive sound quality.

Have fun planning your new Talsma uke. That should temporarily curb your UAS.

–Lori

Well,

Thanks for the encouragement. Donaldson Ukes look pretty nice. I think I'm going to follow through with Talsma first and see how that plays out. I'm still keeping an eye out for a white label Kamaka, the sound is so soft and mellow, especially compared to the Koaloha. Now that I've got a few Ukes, I suppose I can be picky. (And try not to spend so much money!)

I'll keep ya'll updated...

Top Bottom