String tip for Lanikai owners

jimmybookout

Reaction score
All,
I just got a Lanikai NK-T (solid koa top, laminate koa b/s, Tenor size). This ukulele is very bright (like every Lanikai I've had). It came with Aquila strings on it, I replaced them with Martin M620 Fluorocarbon strings. These strings (Martin) really warm up my Lanikai...., nothing against Aquila. My Mainland Tenor (Mahogany) and Kanilea K3 Super Concert (all koa) really like Aquila strings, but, the Lanikai is clearly richer and warmer with fluorocarbon strings (Worths would probably accomplish the same). Just an FYI, IMHO

Jimmy

Thanks for sharing this observation, I just got a Lanikai 6 string and it came with Aquilas, but was a used model so was missing 3 strings, the two Cs and the high A, so I replaced them with Worth clears, quite a difference with the two in courses side by side. It works nice for now, and I have both brands' 6 string sets on the way as I wasn't sure what I would like.

Congrats on the new uke! :D

Ya know - something I never thought about - but I bet with six- and eight-string ukes you could really tweak your tone using mixed fluoro and nylon sets...

I just put Fremont Blacklines on my Lanikai Spalted Mango Tenor and it did wonders for opening up the tone. Had also tried the Martins but am sold on the Fremonts.

Just did my first string change and put Worth clears on my Makai lam tenor and was amazed at the difference from the Aquilas. Fuller, richer sound.

Top Bottom