Why do you own more than one ukulele?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
I get that question a lot! A few answers I've given, the variety available makes me want more, differences in sizes makes me need more, 5 only take the space of about one accoustic guitar. Whats your answer when that question is posed?

.....because i can. :D

Seriously,...the ukulele is a bit unique in that there is such a range of scale lenghts available that change the overall feel, tone, and utilitarian aspects of the instrument. Certain pieces can be played easily on a tenor or concert, that might be impossible on a soprano.

This gets worse if you have large hands, or possibly some hand or finger issues such as arthritis. The larger scales might allow you to play in spite of the issue.

I can explain why I own three of the four that I own: one low G (concert), one reentrant (soprano), and one laminate for the beach (travel soprano). The fourth one (reentrant concert) is a bit redundant and dates to when I thought I preferred playing concert size over soprano; I've since learned otherwise.

Sounds like my wife!!! :) I'm a "one woman man" but since there's so many ukes & so little time...

Actually, I've gone through a BUNCH (Mike's sold me a few himself!), but have mostly settled on concert scale & Pineapple as my personal preference. I'm a vintage sort of guy because, well... I AM a vintage sort of guy - "older than dirt" is what we call it down in Alabama!

So I am drooling over the new Kamaka's (especially the deluxe Pineapple) & would love to own a Rick Griffin Compass Rose, Moore Bettah, Ken Timms, & Pete Howlett uke before I lose my income & my mind! UAS is in slight submission w/my Donaldson uke in hand & promises to remain so as I wait for my Mya-Moe, but... I digress.

Mahalo!

Because I like them and am able to. I play some more than others, but most have a different personality and sound better on certain songs. Most of mine are tuned low G except for a concert and soprano. I usually know what I want when I buy, so I've not had buyers remorse (yet). I don't own one that I don't in some way like.

Added later: And eugene (posted below) has a point as well, I also have issues!

I have several but am in the process of thinning them out. I will end up with a Kanilea Tenor, a KoAloha concert, and a KoAloha concert.

I like the sound of the different sizes and I have found these to be the best of the best in their particular size. I had a Black Bear soprano and it was a fantastic uke, but liked the sound of the KoAloha better. In the concert size, the KoAloha is a clear winner. The Kanilea is just amazing in low or high g, I've played much more expensive ukes, but they just weren't as good.

I could be talked into Blackbird carbon fiber uke, and may just have to get one for travel....

As I get older, I have less interest so I spend more money on those interests. Right now, my interests are golf, photography, ukes...I realize that I have expensive tastes...if I give up golf and photography, I can buy more ukes!!!

Because ukulele.

Because ukuleles are fantastic. I'm fascinated by the different tonewoods and by the loveliness of a well made instrument (note that I said "well made," not "expensive"). Of course looks have a little to do with it, but they're each special.

But on a more practical level, for example, I'm usually exclusively into concert size but am now looking for a soprano for better portability. So it's nice to have ukes that fulfill certain needs.

My love of music and my love of the uke since the 4th grade, and the fact that I'm retired have afforded me to collect 16, (had 20,gave away 4) ukuleles of different sizes and woods (lams. and solids) for very different sound characteristics. I know what sound I'm looking for when learning new songs. 16 may be overkill but it's shared with my daughter, and my 2 grand-daughters. I love and play everyone of them, rotating 4-5 at a time. Always looking for the next good deal,hehe....................................BO....................
BTW; mm stan has more, I've seen them............

Another UU thread addressed this issue, positing that you will become a better player if you stick with one ukulele. This may be true. However, striving to become a better player is only one of my interests in the ukulele. I've been playing them, making them, restoring them, and reading everything I can find that has been written about them. I've traveled hundreds of miles just to play ukuleles that I have not before played. It is arguably the least boring instrument...different woods, different sizes, different shapes, different tunings. They are all fascinating. You wouldn't expect the proverbial kid in a candy store to stay with Goobers, even though he (I) likes Goobers, would you?

In that thread, Jake was cited as an example of someone who plays just one ukulele. We all know which one that is. Interestingly, on the inside of my copy of "Peace, Love, Ukulele" there is a pic of him holding what appears to be a Kamaka soprano. Well, perhaps it's just a prop.

Yeah, that new Kamaka Deluxe Pineapple is quite a looker. Darn it. Even my wife jumped out of her seat when I showed it to her. Naw, I don't really want one of those...or the couple dozen others that I've been ogling.

Why need more ukes? Because sometimes you dont want to miss a custom uke from the luthier, especially you know he will probably not make anymore later. Or, because you absolutely love a newer one when you see it in the music store, you know it is the right one you should buy and own it before too late. And the sound & resonant pulse from the soundboard is calling you.....

Well if you need to explain "why" to another people, then he/she is not in the same group with you. so dont expect he/she will understand why. For the rest of us, we do.

I have always been someone who values musical instruments. I use multiple "voices" when I actually have time to record in my studio. I'll be paring down a bit when my wife and I hit the road in an Airstream Camper and head across the USA to capture events in several areas of interest. At that point, I will carry far less than I currently possess, so, I'll be getting creative in how I cull the herd.

I'll still "work" in music, writing, photography, video, marketing... but at that point, less will be better.

They each have their own 'voice' and after a
time you realise that certain songs/tunes seem
to 'work better' on certain instruments.

Um... I don't actually know why. :/

Sounds like my wife!!! :) I'm a "one woman man" but since there's so many ukes & so little time...

Actually, I've gone through a BUNCH (Mike's sold me a few himself!), but have mostly settled on concert scale & Pineapple as my personal preference. I'm a vintage sort of guy because, well... I AM a vintage sort of guy - "older than dirt" is what we call it down in Alabama!

So I am drooling over the new Kamaka's (especially the deluxe Pineapple) & would love to own a Rick Griffin Compass Rose, Moore Bettah, Ken Timms, & Pete Howlett uke before I lose my income & my mind! UAS is in slight submission w/my Donaldson uke in hand & promises to remain so as I wait for my Mya-Moe, but... I digress.

Mahalo!

Rick Turner!

I Choose to believe in the one ukulele system! :)

Why not?

(Jake may only play one, but how many does he have?)

Top Bottom