Groovin' - in a remote Sea Cave - Yogajenny/Strummin' Jen on holidays

YogaJen

Reaction score
Aloha uker friends,
Just back from summer holidays on the coast South of Sydney Oz. Spend a lot of time outdoors, hiking and climbing - got to enjoy some incredibly beautiful out-of-the-way places. On the last day of the holidays we went for a sunrise walk to this cave that could only be accessed when the tide was out. Took my uke along, and at 6.34am recorded this video in one take. It would have been nice to have warmed up my voice and my uke, but that just didn't happen. Anyhow, hope you enjoy the song and the beauty of the cave - I was mesmerised by the rocks and shells and colours of Nature :)

Last edited:
Jenn that is lovely. beautiful cave and scenery. Perfect song choice. I always really like your style. Nice vacation location. Thank you for sharing with us

Beautiful location. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.

Love the performance and the location, simply perfect. Thanks for sharing this one Jen.

Thanks for your comment and encouragement. It was love at first sight when I first got to the cave - all its diversity of amazing features and coloured rocks - I took a truckload of pics. It didn't dawn on me that day that it would prove to be such a special location to make a video. Hope to get back there :)

Jenn that is lovely. beautiful cave and scenery. Perfect song choice. I always really like your style. Nice vacation location. Thank you for sharing with us
Aloha Ms Rox... Thanks for your comment. I do love the song, I'd been tinkering with it for a while. I manage to commit the chords to memory but it seems to take a bit for me to latch onto all the words. The good thing is that after making a video, the lyrics seem to stick more easily. Guess I better make more videos! Yes, it was a great vacation, 3 whole weeks close to nature :)

Beautiful location. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.

Aloha to you elisdad. It was indeed such a beautiful location - the tide had to be out, and I had to discover my inner mountain goat, the courage and skill to climb around rockfaces and the like. It was absolutely worth it - inspiring. Thanks for your comment - glad you enjoyed the video :)

very cool, Jenny..... nice natural reverb, much better than singing in the shower.....

Hey Bill. Thanks very much - yes, the reverb is brilliant - a fact I didn't twig to till after I got home and saw the video. I was just so in awe of the visual beauty of the cave, I really didn't twig to its auditory potential. I thought I was in heaven just being there, and that joy was more for the fact that it was no easy feat getting there! Definitely better than singing in a shower! Sure to want to get back there and have another go. By the way, just found your YT channel and have subscribed - enjoying Jamabalaya as I type .... happy strumming :)

What fun it must have been to record this- thanks for sharing.

Aloha myrnaukelele :)
My pleasure to share it - thanks for watching. It was definitely fun recording - once I had gained some rockclimbing confidence. You can enter the cave from the front or top back, but either way takes some moments of serious concentrating clambering around precipitous rock ledges, up and down cliffs etc. But what a reward! First two times I went without a uke - I needed to be very serious about keeping myself focussed and safe. After that I was more confident and took my uke there twice. This was the last time - a day before my holidays came to an end, but I sure look forward to getting back there again next summer. Here's to holidays!

That looked like total fun! Perfect song too. How where the acoustics?

Hey vanflynn. It was fabulous fun! I went on the journey to the cave four times - it took some edging my way around headlands, clambering down small but perilous rockfaces, leaping from rock to rock to cross an inlet and getting up the other side before a wave came in - this sort of thing. One time I missed my timing so ran into the safety of a different cave as the wave chased me, and found myself in a cloud of marauding gnats! All part of the excitement and the learning, as well as the sense of achievement in the end being confident enough to return there with my uke. The acoustics were nice, but I truly didn't realise how nice (!!!) until I got home and viewed the video. The wonderful resonance of the cave, and the atmosphere created with the sound of the waves - suffice it to say, I'd love to go back and record more, but will have to wait until next summer holidays!

Top Bottom