8 string tenor tuners

Bob Matthews

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am building an 8 string tenor ukulele (my first) and would like your advice on what tuners to use. Do I use mandolin tuners? My thoughts that it might take forever to tune up with these as they are meant for steel strings and therefore have a smaller spindle size and tiny tuner buttons.

Are there any 8 string uke dedicated tuners available in the uk?
I would also like the possibility of doing a slotted headstock as I do this on most of my guitars, so the tuners would need the string hole in the centre of the posts rather than at the end.
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
Any help greatly appreciated, thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Mandolin tuners are fine - don't get too hung up about gear ratios bnecause as soon as the strings have settled down you will appreciate the ability to fine tune! And besides.many builders her use adapted guitar tuners which can have anything from 15:1 to 18:1...

Thanks for that Pete, makes sense, do you have any recommendations of suppliers in the UK?

I looked at these from Rubner which look very nice but the buttons seem a little close together, anyone have any experience of them?

Bob

They look really nice - I never look at that stuff on Mike's site - perhaps I should :)

Top Bottom