I'll Fly Away

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Last edited:
I like Allison Krauss... but I watched it anyway.

Yup. That's the kind of caution-to-the-wind, devil-may-care life I lead.

Anyway, nice job! I like that kind of picky-clawhammery thing you've got going on there.

JJ

Love what you've done on that tune! It's the first one I learned as my girls sing it so well. I'm going to study your video and see if I can pick up my own pace a bit. You have been a great mentor of mine with your videos, I can't thank you enough.

I like Allison Krauss... but I watched it anyway.

Yup. That's the kind of caution-to-the-wind, devil-may-care life I lead.

Anyway, nice job! I like that kind of picky-clawhammery thing you've got going on there.

JJ

Thanks JJ. Perceptive comment, it is a straightforward guitar fingerpick style (thumb and 3 fingers). The use of the re-entrant string makes it sound like a clawhammer banjo piece.

KEN

Love what you've done on that tune! It's the first one I learned as my girls sing it so well. I'm going to study your video and see if I can pick up my own pace a bit. You have been a great mentor of mine with your videos, I can't thank you enough.

Thanks Jane. I greatly respect your kind comments.

KEN

Great job Ken, thanks for the tabs as well. I first heard this song a few years ago when it was in the movie " 'O Brother, Where Art Thou" and have liked it ever since.. Any chance of you tabbing out Man of Constant Sorrow? :)
I bet your rendition would be great...heck all of your renditions are great!

I have thought of Man of Constant Sorrow before. I'm not sure. The uke may not have enough strings and would probably need to be tuned to an open tuning, maybe GCEG. I'll look at it again, but I can't promise.

Thanks for the suggestion.

KEN

You're always too critical of yourself. On the rare occasion I hear you make a "happy little accident", I smile because I know you're human.

I know I am. But I have always rushed things and I never practise enough.

I don't mind most of the videos being a bit rough because otherwise they sound too clinical. I like to get that live feel. If you keep playing it through, you lose that.

However, when there is a TAB sheet to follow, I like to try and get it right so people can follow it clearly. Problem is, I still rush it.

Thanks anyway, Deach. Always good to hear from you.

KEN

Top Bottom