Help Identify Grandfather's Old Uke

jascher

Reaction score
Yesterday I took home an old uke from my deceased grandfather's house. I am going to learn how to play as for I used to strum it while he would play when I was younger. I took it to my local Music & Arts store to get it looked at. I was told that it is a tenor based off the 18 frets, yet it may be a baritone due to the size: 30.5 inches total, 20 inch scale, and 13.5 inch fretboard.

I was told that the uke it's self was in alright condition, fret board has noticeable wear, as does the rest of the uke from frequent play, but nothing that is major. The bridge has been glued down, but is stable and does not move. There is no warping or bend in the uke, and it just needs to be oiled and have the strings replaced.

At the top of the uke there is the name, Des Lauriers painted in gold.

If you could help me with any info about this family heirloom, it would be much appreciated as for I hope to keep it in working order.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 43
First, welcome to UU!
Looks like a Bari to me, but I'm not that familiar with Baritones. Someone here will know. You should string it up and enjoy it! No need to "oil" it as that won't do anything but make it oily and slick and if there are any cracks in the finish, it could soften the wood. A good wipe down with a damp cloth would clean it up. Then.....enjoy! I'm sure your grandfather would be happy it is in your hands and making music again!

Welcome to UU, jascher.

I googled "Des Lauriers" and ukulele and the first result was this post from the ultimate-guitar forums:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-783892.html

I have 5 different Des Lauriers electrics, a soprano ukulele and a baritone ukulele. I don't really know too much about the brand other than they only made guitars for either three or ten years before going out of business. The earliest instruments they made were in the Matsumoku factory in Japan, and then production moved to Korea. Apparently the company shut down because the cost was too high to build the instruments compared with what they were selling them for.

Top Bottom