Wagner Safe-T-Planer

Steiner

Reaction score
I anticipated buying one of these as soon as I got into a house and had a drill press. I've almost pulled the trigger on buying one anyways a number of times just so I had it when that day came, but never did. Finally got the other two parts of the equation and got online to buy the safe-t-planer and it's discontinued. Anyone have an extra one or one they'd part with because they have a drum sander or other thicknessing method. Buying or building a different thicknessing method is not feasible right now.

You might be able to get one on ebay.

Hmm. Maybe it's time to get into the safe-t-planer business, as the original manufacturer is retiring.

Last edited:
Really?! Discontinued? Wow, I just got mine under the wire then. I just set mine up and have been testing it with wonderful results. I hope you find one!

I love mine. It saves a lot of time since I'm doing my final thicknessing on a shopmade, handfeed, sander that runs off of my old Shopsmith. I thickness on the Safe-t-planer to about .130" and then go to the sander for final thicknessing. I might not use it as much if I had one of those fancy, store-bought sanders, but it does the trick for now.

Many years ago (maybe in the first year of publication) Fine Woodworking ran an article about a gentleman whose only machine tool was a radial arm saw. He made grandfather clock cases and did all of his thicknessing (rough sawn wood to final thickness) with a Safe-t-planer on his radial arm saw. Even made some of the molding with it as I recall.

Attachments

• DSC02975.jpg
    DSC02975.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC03324.jpg
    DSC03324.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 40
I tried calling the number for G&W Tool Co listed on an old instruction manual and it was disconnected. There's another G&W Tool Company that makes auto parts, but I'm still going to call them tomorrow and see if they're related at all and if there's any hope.

Oh man they are out everywhere and even the replacement blades are gone. Mine is only a year or so old so I hope it lasts a long time.
Why dont you sharpen the old blades..it looks easy.
04_sharpenB_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Why dont you sharpen the old blades..it looks easy.
04_sharpenB_sm.jpg

You can get a ton of resharps out of the cutters, for sure. I just thought that if they are never going to be made again, it would be best to have another set of them lying around. :)

Mine is now spoken for, should I decide to sell it.

But replacement cutters? Come on... isn't Timbuck around? Piece of cake for a man like 'im...

I just bought the one from durotools.com. Hopefully it does a similar job.

Top Bottom