ID this Uke? No head & pegs at the wrong end.

Thanks! That's just too cool. Looks like it would be great for late-night practice without bothering anyone.

Now I want one. :)

I like the wood of the Concert, but the size of the Soprano... hmm...

Last edited:
I have some little mini-amps, and an iRig Jam for the iPad, and some nice headphones.. an electric uke that makes almost no audible sound would be just the ticket.

I have a HeadRoom Total BitHead that might work. Similar idea.

Anyway, thanks for all the pointers -- I have a RISA Concert Solid (geared tuners) on the way from Germany! Whoooooo!!

I had a RISA stick and sold it eventually due to the shape. No problem with the neck nor lack of headstock, but there's nowhere to rest the right pinkie (as I often do), nor anything to grip under the right forearm. There's virtually nothing beyond the bridge at the bottom end.

They are difficult to fine-tune, as the strings wrap around in those grooves in that chrome bar under the bridge. They "stick" a bit. It takes some finagling, even if you get one with the geared tuners.

It was the best quality electric I've owned, however. YMMV.

Ground Loop,

I noted after my post that you'd ordered a RISA. As I mentioned, they're of excellent quality. The best action setup, and perfect intonation. They make good use of the zero fret.

If you loosen the strings and sprinkle some powdered graphite into those chrome bar grooves, the tuning is much improved, in my experience.

Enjoy that stick! :D

PS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyW9XIZoHM

I have a HeadRoom Total BitHead that might work. Similar idea.

Anyway, thanks for all the pointers -- I have a RISA Concert Solid (geared tuners) on the way from Germany! Whoooooo!!

I've got a TBH and I don't think it's an audio in. I wouldn't want to destroy it trying that out! The walnut on the tenor uke solid is pretty awesome. :)

I use a tascam ixz in place of the irig. It's got a small preamp and gain control, although the xlr in is quieter than the guitar in. Also the Vox Amplugs are awesome. Yeah the Eleuke has a headphone out, but they're pretty horrible. I love Eleuke, but wouldn't buy one of those for the headphone out, would end up with an Amplug anyway. I mention that in case Eleuke owners say that their uke has a headphone out already. If you have a tbh, you probably care about the quality of your headphone outs.

If you're recording with an iPad, have a look at StudioTrack.

Last edited:
Thanks Plainsong! I checked my TBH and it has a "Line In" 3.5mm stereo jack (in addition to the two headphone outs). I will take a look at the signal coming out of the RISA before I plug it in. I'll figure something out.

Interesting point about the audio quality of the Eleuke built-in amp; I was wondering about that. I do love my clean sound, so having a lousy built-in preamp wouldn't be so useful. I'm checking the Amplug and Pocket Rock-it now. No hurry.. I'll wire something up for couch practice.

I was originally going to get the RISA soprano (small! portable!), but the whitewash maple look just didn't do it for me. The natural stain on the concert, and just a little longer -- nice. The walnut was indeed choice, but I don't think I'm up for a Tenor.

I am really curious to see if it's comfortable to play. I figure if it's not, the resale on them seems to be very high -- based on eBay listings and local US offerings.

My RISA is somewhere in international transit right now.. can't wait. I think I've watched every one on YouTube ten times over.

Top Bottom