Action woes...

Valerie

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal.... I remember reading before here on UU the range of heights you should expect strings should be at above the 12th fret.

I tried using the search function to find that to no avail.

Anyways... Anyone remember that number?

To that point: What would be the best way to fix it?

Also: I know that a lower action affects tone- which scares me a bit because I love the tone of my uke. But the action really is horribly high and it's painful to play (especially now that I've another uke with action that is just super awesome)

Currently the hight of my strings at the 12 fret is (when measured from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string): 4mm.

Last edited:
Valerie, try this thread, hopefully this is the one you're referring to.

Thanks! that was the link- I was searching on the wrong board, it seems.

Anyways, I sanded down my saddle and the action is much much better (and the intonation is still spot on all the way up the neck- in fact, on the G-string it is actually better than it was before! No more sharp notes!)

I've been thinking of doing this (sanding down the saddle) on my soprano but I'm afraid of messing it up.

I'd heard (on here somewhere) that the thing to do is to use a sanding block on a flat surface and move the base of the saddle over the block, rather than rubbing the block over the saddle. That way things stay level. However, I speak only from a theorectical standpoint as I always cop out of these things, and happen to live within striking distance of a great ukulele luthier.

I've been thinking of doing this (sanding down the saddle) on my soprano but I'm afraid of messing it up.

So buy a blank saddle or two before you try. If you mess it up, you can just start on a new one. You'll learn more about your uke in the process, and you'll have your action more to your liking.

noob question but WHat is this sanding down of the saddle??

does this just lower the height of the strings??? please fill me in here

^^ Sanding down the saddle/nut to lower the action; meaning decrease the measurement of the strings to the fretboard while maintaining playability and intonation. Reference the thread in post #2 for a more detailed explanation. I hope I said that correctly . . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom