How and where do you store your ukes?

Lalz

Reaction score
Hi there!

This is mainly a question to people who own several ukuleles.

I'm curious, where do people store their ukes? Do you hang them on walls? Put them on uke-stands nearby the sofa? Store them in special dedicated humidity-balanced cabinet(s)/walk-in closet(s)? Put them inside their cases and stack the cases on top of each other? Hide them in shoe-boxes so noone will know how many you really have?

To answer my own question: I got myself a low bookcase with doors (Billy from IKEA), where I keep one or two ukes per shelf, all of them in hardcases. It's basically like a cabinet but since it's actually a bookcase it's less deep and takes up less space than a regular cabinet, so I can have it in my hallway without cluttering the space.

What about you?

Last edited:
Ukes 001.jpg

I have to keep them close to hand, but away from dogs & kids!

I fortunately have a humidity controlled home. It's not perfect, but the ukuleles are in a room with additional humidity control (for the piano), in their humidity controlled cases. I've thought about building a cabinet. Hmm....

In a hardcase wherever I played it for the last time.

I keep Kamaka, KoAloho and Pono in their cases with a Herco humidifier in each case. I have a crazy dog that runs all over, so they would be at risk on stands. The Dolphins are all over the place, on the wall, in the corner, in the bathroom...err...well, no, not in the bathroom.

It's becoming a bit of a problem as I find myself acquiring more and more ukes...
My all wood ukes have to be kept in their cases with a humidifier as we have a very dry house in the winter. Some are in my little spare bedroom/studio and some are on my dining room table and those that don't need to be in cases are scattered around the house or hanging on the wall.

I store my ukes everywhere and anywhere I want to. I have a uke that lives in my car no matter what the weather. I would never humidify anything. One uke hangs on my wall, another on a floor stand, another thrown about on the couch/lazy boy. I have cheap ukes, and fancy ukes and they all get treated the same (except my car uke, which is a cheapo laminate that I dont care much about and is easily replaceable). Ukes are meant to be played, and if its easy to pick up, ill use it more. If it cracks beyond repair in ten years, so be it, it will have served its purpose by then.

Im really debating getting a uke rack by the bailey strap company. They look sick.

I don't' really need to worry much about humidity but I do have hygrometers? A thing that tells what the humidity is in my home. I have one in my closet and one by my computer. The ukes not in use are in my closet where the humidity doesn't go below 50%. Most of the year I have one or two ukes hanging on the wall within arms reach of my computer. The humidity is getting into the forty's on cold days/nights so I have been putting them all to bed at night.

I haver a corner in my room next to my computer desk for all of my six ukes.

Each in a case/gig bag with a oasis hygrometer (I like the slim profile) a couple home made humidifiers using water absorbing crystals and a Planet Waves Humidipak that is suppose to help keep it at 45%. Winter months in Minnesota can be brutal (but it's dry cold !). So far it seems to work

Last edited:
On the wall in the man cave. Humidity set between 45 and 50 in Winter and 40 to 45 in summer. So far so good.

Martin and Kamaka are always stored in case when not being played. I use a small sponge inside a snack-size zip lock bag with several holes (toothpick size) poked in the bag for humidity control within the case. So far this seems to work just fine. I would recommend keeping ukes in cases or hung on a wall when not being played-too many sad stories floating around out there!

IMG_0994.jpgI hang mine on an interior wall which is 10 feet away from where I play and jam with my buddies plus I can switch ukes with songs that sound better with different ukes.

Thanks for your answers, it's nice to get a glimpse of what people do with their ukes when not playing them :)

Those of you who say you keep them in cases, where in your house do you keep your cases? On the floor, inside furniture...?

Keep my cases on floor and leaned up against wall in bedroom. My kids are grown and out of the house and our dogs are kept out of the bedroom.

The good ones are in their cases in a Rubbermaid tub next to the "dog couch" in the computer room, which is basically a "man cave". My pipes, basses, ukes, and one of my bicycles live in there. The less delicate ukuleles (the plastic Islanders and an old Harmony) are hung on the wall in the same room. My Flea sits on the floor next to the computer desk.
IMG_0632.jpg
There are 13 ukuleles in that bin. If I didn't have a tenor and a concert in there, I could probably fit another 3 or 4 sopranos in their place!

Last edited:
Mine are hung on an interior wall. The house is humidity controlled.

Top Bottom