where can I buy a Big Island mango tenor?

fretie

Reaction score
Here I am on the Big Island right now and can not even find a Big Island mango tenor at any of the music shops here! Hah, imagine that!

I have contacted Uke Republic and Big Island Co and not heard back from either.

I've decided I want this uke for sure now but need your help in finding someone who is selling one. Can you point me in the right direction?

Everyone was at NAMM, and it may be a few days before they are home and settled. You'll likely get a response quickly.

I believe that UU member Olarte was selling a nice one on the Marketplace here for a very reasonable price just recently, but pulled it off after a couple of weeks. I would suggest sending him a PM.

I attended the NAMM SHOW 2012 yesterday and spent quite a bit of time with Jorma (Owner of Big Isand Ukulele Co). I checked out the new Mango Tenor and I was very suprised! It has a very rich, warm and mellow tone with great projection! Good choice!

Jorma and his Shop Manager were @ the NAMM SHOW for all 4 days and are traveling back to O'ahu on Tuesday, as is most everyone else: Joe & Kristen Souza & Manager Bill Griffin(Kanile'a), Casey, Fred, Chris (Kamaka), Aldrine & the UU Gang, Mike(MGM).

Good choice on the Big Island Mango Tenor. I would probably try getting in touch with them on Wednesday.

Since I only attended on the last day of the show, everyone seemed like they were pretty exhausted and wiped out! Aldrine even lost his voice for awhile!

Last edited:
Thanks guys...looking forward to snapping up this uke from one of the dealers once they are back from NAMM.

(Olarte's mango tenor isn't for sale anymore.)

I'm sorry Fretie, I guess I regained my sanity, and decided to keep mine for low G classical pieces.

It got even better when I Changed to thinner strings than the ones it came with. I'm now using Mya Moe fluorocarbon strings on it. And also had a strap button installed to make it more stable for classical music.

Like MGM said they should be in stock shortly.

Guilty as charged... I picked up about 2-3 (I cant remember) tenors. I have 1 tenor cutaway with electronics, 2ish regular tenors, 2ish concerts, and 4ish sopranos all in the mango. Haha! I can check my paperwork so I can remove the ishes! I will send ya some pictures when they come in and you can have first choice. They are puuuuuuurrrrrddddddyyyyy! I got some Koas too. But almost wiped out the manos. And if you have any other questions that need to be answered let me know. It may take a teenie bit to get back to you... I am catching up on 200 e-mails, 20 PMS, UUBL, and ebay orders... I will not be leaving my desk until midnight... I am sure of it! I do know one mango tenor did not have as much spalting but had this neat uniform quilted grain. You will see!

Last edited:
I was at Bounty Music (ukes.com) a few days ago, and they had a Big Island Mango Tenor at that time.

Top Bottom