Kala Ka-ste

Nosidda

Reaction score
Im about to upgrade from concert to tenor. Does anyone know about the KALA KA-STE? Good or bad?
MGM sells 'em at $218. Is it worth the cash?

Also im kinda curious if Pickups mess up the sound of the acoustic instrument itself.

Any help would be much apreciated

I actually bought one a little over a month ago, and I have to say it is pretty nice. The electronics don't really have an affect on the sound (that I know of), but I do wish the cutout were a little more organic looking/feeling. The cutout probably affects tone a little bit. But the pickup doesn't bother the acoutstic tone. It actually has a pretty nice tone.

I have heard people suggest other brands (pono, etc.) for a better uke for the $200 price range, and this could be a valid suggestion (I've never compared a pono to a kala, so I wouldn't know). But overall, I feel like my KA-STE was worth my $218 (mine was also from MGM). It's definetly a good ukulele for it's price.

On a side note, the C string on the MGM KA-STE is wound, so you may want to consider changing that, depending on what strings you like. But I thought you may want to know ahead of time.

I was given a Kala KA-STE as a birthday gift about a year ago. This Kala has a slight "twang" sound to it, like a mandolin. I've been experimenting with different strings and settle with Worth strings. My ukulele had a few surprises, when I plugged in the Shadow P3 pick-up/eq, it sounded even better, no twang. You can adjust the treble and the base and control the volume. It has a lot of staying power. The wires lying inside the ukulele didn't interfere with the sound, no buzzing.

I wasn't impress with the plug-in location, It's located on the bottom right of the body. The straight plug-in cable got in the way of my leg. But I switched to a 90 degree plug-in cable and that helped. The plug-in location should be towards the back end. That way, you can also use it for mounting your shoulder strap.

You can't beat the price, if you can live with the 9v battery inside with the wires running to the plug-in.

Oh, the spruce front and mahogany back is solid. The side is laminated mahogany. It's still a keeper.

Would I buy this ukulele? yes.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I bought a Kala KA-S8E at Skip's Music sale two weeks ago for $250.00. My first 8-string. It has a different Shadow pick-up with a pull out disk battery. Still has the original strings, though. This baby is a "twanger". Hooked it up to an amp, sounds great.

The newer models (08) have the new Shadow Active Electronics with front access to the battery and the plug in at the bottom. See pics below.

db6c_1.JPG

dbbe_1.JPG

Kalas are generally very good ukes for the money. I have the same model and reviewed it here:
www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukuleles.htm
Just got another Kala late last week, a cedar top tenor. very nice!

Kalas are generally very good ukes for the money. I have the same model and reviewed it here:
www.ianchadwick.com/essays/ukuleles.htm
Just got another Kala late last week, a cedar top tenor. very nice!

did you do a review on that one yet? I was looking at that one for an upgrade or the Spruce version with the koa back/sides

edit: nevermind I see you updated your page:nana:

Last edited:
wow lots of info! lol

Is the twang thing really that noticiable though? I definatly dont like that part but if its not really bad i wouldnt mind.

Thanks everyone for more input

Theres a review here. I don't know anything about this uke But i would think it is worth it.

I would't think the electronics would have much effect in the sound.

Hey, thanks for plugging my review!

It seriously is a great uke. I would recomend it to everyone!

its pretty decent sound quality bro! but if your spending 230 or something on it i would suggest pono!

you can get a solid mahogany pono with the koolau hard case for around 300 check mgms ebay store. i really recommend it john (koolau and pono ukulele maker) has his own line of pickups too.

check it out ! let us know wha tyou decide!

did you do a review on that one yet? I was looking at that one for an upgrade or the Spruce version with the koa back/sides
I'm sitting at work on a quiet Saturday with my cedar-topped Kala and practicing a bit in-betweeen customers. I have really come to like this uke, although I think the Pono has a fuller, richer sound. The Kala sounds as best I can describe it as more "woody." It reminds me a lot of mahogany with longer sustain.

Another note re: the satin finish: if your hands are wet or sweaty, they don't stick to it like they do a gloss finish. You notice this on the neck where the gloss seems to have a bit more friction.

I get what your saying though.! U should just try to find a nice uke store that has different ukulele's and try them out. I do like the satin finish but whne sweat and oils from your hands get on it. it stains it? Like it looks glossier in ceertain areas because of the oils. Gloss finish u can just wipe off and it feels smooth haha just an opinion. =)

k so i decided to go with the kala. It should be here in 3 days from today!
Im excited!:rock:

Well there really arent any ukulele stores where i live. I live in Colorado. I hear theres one right up by my school but i havent had the time to go look yet.

Top Bottom