ukulele tune up.

stevali

Reaction score
I had my uke just over a month. During this time ive grown to realise how much the strings suck. I recently bought a snark ukulele tuner and i cant even tune them with that. I use a app on my phone and i can with that strange.

I may invest in something better in the future. So im hoping someone could suggest some strings im on a tight budget. Also is my snark fault?

I got Aquila NylGut strings which made a big difference to the sound, they seem to get recommended a lot around here.

What's the issue with the tuning? - Does it tune up and then not stay in tune? - Or is the tuner not 'registering' the notes? - What's happening on the snark's screen when you're tuning a string?

Strings on a tight budget - most strings are relatively inexpensive.

You can not tune your uke or it does not stay in tune? I tune my uke every time before I play.

I had my uke just over a month. During this time ive grown to realise how much the strings suck. I recently bought a snark ukulele tuner and i cant even tune them with that. I use a app on my phone and i can with that strange.

I may invest in something better in the future. So im hoping someone could suggest some strings im on a tight budget. Also is my snark fault?

The thing I've noticed is that it seems to take longer for uke strings to "settle in" than say a typical stell string acoustic guitar.

But I would also say that if you see Jake Shimabukura tuning between every song (which you do). You and I probably need to tune frequently as well.

Im just surprising how quick they drop of tune.

A month? - The strings should be stretched by now. Are the tuners slipping, or perhaps where the string winds around the peg is slipping?

AAlthough when changing strings or buying a new Uke, it can take a while for the strings to settle, if you're tuning and playing everyday, then I'd say that they should already be stretched. Maybe invest in some better strings? Or if it's slipping out of tune, then maybe a better Ukulele is the answer. Do you have any way for it to be looked at by a luthier or a store near you to see if it's the strings or the Ukulele?

Also the Snark is a very good tuner, is it not picking up any notes? Do you attach it to the headstock or did you get the one with the microphone? If it's not working still, check the battery or return it as faulty, because they are very good ones and I'd imagine it's a fault if it's not working at all!

Hope that helps!

Joey :music:

Top Bottom