Anyone try new D'Addario Nyltech or Titaniums for concerts?

Doc_J

Reaction score
I saw the UU video from NAMM 2012 with D'Addario strings, showing the new Titaniums and Nyltech strings for concert ukes. Looks interesting. Anybody try these yet? I wonder how different the Nyltechs are from the Nylguts?

"Big Strings" has some Nyltech in stock, maybe the others too.

They also have the T2's . . . available in re-entrant and low G

Most of the ukes in the shop I work at come stock with Aquilas but we're not dealers. When I heard that D'Addario worked with Aquila for the Nyltechs I assumed they would be very similar so I got some in for the store. I took home a soprano set to A-B it with my Flea (my only uke with Aquilas on it).

Not the same thing at all. Visually they're pretty close...I would say that the D'Addarios are a little more cream colored than the Aquilas. The D'Addarios also feel smoother than the Aquilas. Sonically, the D'Addarios are quite a bit more mellow than the Aquilas. Not a bad sound, just not what I was expecting. On my Flea, I prefer the Aquilas...unfortunately I don't have any spare sets.

So I'm going to order a set of soprano Aquilas soon and I'll do a sound comparison between the two sets of strings once I get them.

I'm interested in their Titanium strings, which are supposed to be louder than most.

Most of the ukes in the shop I work at come stock with Aquilas but we're not dealers. When I heard that D'Addario worked with Aquila for the Nyltechs I assumed they would be very similar so I got some in for the store. I took home a soprano set to A-B it with my Flea (my only uke with Aquilas on it).

Not the same thing at all. Visually they're pretty close...I would say that the D'Addarios are a little more cream colored than the Aquilas. The D'Addarios also feel smoother than the Aquilas. Sonically, the D'Addarios are quite a bit more mellow than the Aquilas. Not a bad sound, just not what I was expecting. On my Flea, I prefer the Aquilas...unfortunately I don't have any spare sets.

So I'm going to order a set of soprano Aquilas soon and I'll do a sound comparison between the two sets of strings once I get them.

Thanks Chris. That's good information. I'm looking forward to your comparison.
Decided to try them too and ordered Nyltech and Titaniums strings from Big City Strings. I have a spruce top concert with Aquila strings that might benefit from the more mellow Nyltech strings.

Where do you even get the titanium concert strings? Does any place have them that is friendly to shipping to Euroland? I remember there's this big string site in the US, and the last time I went there, they charge like 30 bucks to ship... which is saying they'd just as soon not sell here. Thomann doesn't have them, SUS doesn't have them, anyone know who does?

I just got a set of Nyltech for Concert & Tenor, and the Titanium for Tenor & Concert. I got them to decide if my shop is going to stock them.

Going to try the Concerts on my Beansprout, and the Tenors on my Pono Tenor. Love the Pro Arte's on my Kamaka, so don't plan on experimenting there :)

I try to spend my $$$ locally. So I'm bummed that no one local stocks anything but standard aquilla or martin strings for uke.

The closest thing Indy has to a serious uke shop only has a few uke strings to choose from.

Finally got around to putting a set of new D'Addario T2 Titanium strings (D-EJ87C) on a concert (Boat Paddle) last night. Usually I prefer Worth strings and have had only so-so results from the D'Addario Pro Arte Strings in the past. So, I was pleasantly surprised with these.

Although they are still stretching in, I do enjoy them for slight change from the Worth Clears that were on it. T2 Titanium strings seems a little bit more fuller sounding to me, but with a tad less sustain. That is a good trade-off on this uke. While the strings are very smooth they are not as slippery as FC strings. But I'll give them a few days before I properly review. So far, I like them, and they are under $4 a set.

Warning: they are a bit thicker than Worth clears.

Have any experiences about the T2 Titanium concert string sets to share?

Last edited:
Scott...

If in Indy....try Reno's music in Fishers they carry some D'Addarios and will special order for you.

Top Bottom