Can you tell which is which?

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Can you tell which is which [Results]?

Results are now on page 4!

I got this idea while I was looking at a thread a few weeks ago...

In this clip there are three soprano ukuleles. One cost $19, one cost $40, and one cost $500. Can you tell which is which?

Results will be posted this week, unless I'm tempted to do it later tonight!

Soundcloud link to clip

On a related note, can we post soundcloud songs directly to the board or is that not available?

Good Luck!

Remember, the options are:

$19 Waikiki (or $5 in 1965!)
$40 Makala
$500 KoAloha

Last edited:
$19 Waikiki (or $5 in 1965!) 3rd clip
$40 Makala 1st clip
$500 KoAloha 2nd clip

2nd one is the K.

Makala, Koaloha, Waikiki............like your strumming.................................BO.......................

Waikiki, Koaloha, Makala.

That's what I think, too. Of course, this is coming from hearing it out of a pair of computer speakers that are now over 10 years old.

Interesting experiment, but certainly one with considerable limitations and inherent shortcomings.

That's what I think, too. Of course, this is coming from hearing it out of a pair of computer speakers that are now over 10 years old.

Interesting experiment, but certainly one with considerable limitations and inherent shortcomings.

It has a lot of limitations, but I recorded them as consistently as I could....2 mics, one pointing straight at the uke and another wide band condenser mic catching the uke and the room. All of the settings are exactly the same for all three tracks, and I tried as hard as I could to remove the human element by sitting the same way, uke at the same angle, playing the same tunes.

It doesn't so much catch the nuances of each uke as it does illustrate the differences in them (as well as 2 mics in a small room can). At least, that's what I was going for.

It has a lot of limitations, but I recorded them as consistently as I could....2 mics, one pointing straight at the uke and another wide band condenser mic catching the uke and the room. All of the settings are exactly the same for all three tracks, and I tried as hard as I could to remove the human element by sitting the same way, uke at the same angle, playing the same tunes.

It doesn't so much catch the nuances of each uke as it does illustrate the differences in them (as well as 2 mics in a small room can). At least, that's what I was going for.

I get that, and didn't mean to be overly negative or critical at all. I mean, I totally understand that you corrected for any bias and that all three ukes were recorded in as identical a way as possible. But that being said, the only thing that I personally could go by was the differences between the three (which had the greatest distinction between high and low, etc), rather than the actual quality of the sound.

As I said, this is an interesting experiment, even with the confines under which you were working.

I get that, and didn't mean to be overly negative or critical at all. I mean, I totally understand that you corrected for any bias and that all three ukes were recorded in as identical a way as possible. But that being said, the only thing that I personally could go by was the differences between the three (which had the greatest distinction between high and low, etc), rather than the actual quality of the sound.

As I said, this is an interesting experiment, even with the confines under which you were working.

Haha sorry, I wasn't trying to sound defensive...I forgot to explain the method behind the experiment in the OP, so I figured I'd say it now before I got a million questions about it ;)

Of course, you'd have to play them to be sure!

Makala, Koaloha, Waikiki. Thanks. If I'm wrong and the second uke was the Makala, I'm going to go out and buy their whole line:D

Ok not sure if this is the correct approach. Although the frequency ranges appear to be wider with 2 and 3 they just don't sound as good to me. so my choices:

Koaloha, Makala, Waikiki

AB

Last edited:
The second and third have a better sound to my ears so let's hope that the Koaloha is one of those two, considering their reputation and higher cost. I'm not familiar with Waikiki at all, never heard one but I do know that Makala makes some good sounding ukuleles for the money. So, I'll go with:

Waikiki - 1st
Koaloha - 2nd
Makala - 3rd

But then again, MMStan is probably familiar with Waikiki so I probably have it and the Makala reversed...!!!

When do we get to know which sound bite belongs to which instrument?

By the way, MGM did one of these sound bite thingies about a year ago and the results were pretty enlightening.

Last edited:
The second and third have a better sound to my ears so let's hope that the Koaloha is one of those two, considering their reputation and higher cost. I'm not familiar with Waikiki at all, never heard one but I do know that Makala makes some good sounding ukuleles for the money. So, I'll go with:

Waikiki - 1st
Koaloha - 2nd
Makala - 3rd

But then again, MMStan is probably familiar with Waikiki so I probably have it and the Makala reversed...!!!

When do we get to know which sound bite belongs to which instrument?

By the way, MGM did one of these sound bite thingies about a year ago and the results were pretty enlightening.

+1 on that order. They all sound pretty good, but it might just be the great playing.

If the second one isn't the KoAloha I'm going to trade in my ears. :)

I'm guessing the Makala as #1 and the Wakiki as #3 but I'm not familiar with the old Wakiki ukes so if the were pretty good deals for the price then it could be the other way around.

Of course, strings are very important, too. A really cheap uke with good strings might give a little better uke with terrible strings a run for its money.

John

I think I'm a lot more visual than I realized. I looked at the sound patterns and thought the second must be the KoAloha before hearing anything because it looked the most interesting. Darn my sight bias!

Nix

+1 on that order. They all sound pretty good, but it might just be the great playing.

D'aawwww thanks!

If it helps, the Makala and the Waikiki both have Aquilas and the KoAloha has the stock Worth Clears.

And the Waikiki is a 60's era plastic uke with a toylike reputation, but was built by Emenee to compete directly with the slightly more expensive Maccaferri Islanders. If it helps. :D

D'aawwww thanks!

If it helps, the Makala and the Waikiki both have Aquilas and the KoAloha has the stock Worth Clears.

And the Waikiki is a 60's era plastic uke with a toylike reputation, but was built by Emenee to compete directly with the slightly more expensive Maccaferri Islanders. If it helps. :D

Okay, then I'm going to take a chance and reverse my earlier guess. I'm now saying #1 is the Wakiki and #3 is the Makala. Though, I suspect I may regret it... LOL

The hint about the strings makes this interesting. #2 and #3 have similar frequency spectrums which if strings make a huge difference then those could be he Aquilas.

There is absolutely no doubt that #2 has the widest frequency spectrum and as i listen to it more I definitely feel and hear the higher end much better and like it.

#1 as I listen to it more I realize it's not necessarily that's more pleasant it's just more consistent but definitely appears to be hindered in frequency spectrum by either the tone wood or the strings.

Cant wait for the results. Great thread.

AB

Top Bottom