New Strings Day!

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
So it isn’ t as exciting as a new uke but I had been playing some Ko’olau Aholi hard for 2 months and they were starting to show the wear. I decided to put on some Fremont Blacklines for giggles and it’s almost like a new uke.

If you haven’t swapped string in a while, do yourself a favor and get some new ones on. Try a different brand, you may be suprised. For around $5 you can hardly go wrong.

I swapped out strings on my tenor yesterday and had a really similar experience....new strings are awesome :)

Especially if they're Japanese; I haven't tried Fremont but I love me some Worths!

So it isn’ t as exciting as a new uke but I had been playing some Ko’olau Aholi hard for 2 months and they were starting to show the wear. I decided to put on some Fremont Blacklines for giggles and it’s almost like a new uke.

If you haven’t swapped string in a while, do yourself a favor and get some new ones on. Try a different brand, you may be suprised. For around $5 you can hardly go wrong.

I'm also a fan of the Fremonts, and have a set on my Kanile'a right now. If you're feeling experimental, I'd strongly suggest you try the Orcas as your next set. They're similar to the Fremonts, but in my estimation, they have just a bit more clarity to them.

I like fremonts - depends on the uke.

I'd urge anyone to try as many brands as they can on an individual uke. Trust you own fingers and ears. I have quite a range on my collection and it took a while to get to the strings I prefer for each uke

And it almost depends on how you want to play said uke with said strings ...
I liked the sound of the hardest Worth clear Low-G -- until I tried to play some jazz higher than the 5th or 7th fret. OUCH! Way too stiff to strum.
So I'm back to Martin fluorocarbons and High-G. Sweet. Very playable.
Will next try the thinner Worth clear Low-G combo before totally giving up on the Low-G sound. (Didn't care for the wound Low-G sets I've tried so far.)
YMMV

Top Bottom