Using low tunings on a 12 string (regular scale)

fernandogardinali

Reaction score
I would like to use a baritone guitar Leadbelly-style on 12 stringer. I tried to tune that low (B E A D F♯ B) and even (A D G C E A) to sound like a uke but the strings were too floppy to play.

Do you think using a baritone string set (on a low tuning) would damage my guitar? It is a Cort dreadnought.

aloha,
don't even need to be that complicated. basically your need to pick up two strings, the low B, and move all your remaining strings over one position. depending on what your current low E is, which would become your new fifth string; should maybe be a 52 or 54, you need buy a new string around 58-60, maybe 62. easy as that. two, i would use the equivalent of your current A=fifth string, as the octave string. string tension should not increase and you already know what most of it sounds like. hope that helps.
mahalo,
nathan

Hi

It's the tension you should be concerned with. If you put heavy-gauge strings and tune them lower, there shouldn't be any problem. If you put a regular six-string set on 12 string guitar and then add 6 more strings, you may exert too much tension.

If you want to tune 12 strings to B (6th string), you can buy a "medium-gauge 12-string set" made by D'Angelico. Probably *very* hard to find - are you in Portugal? I put the set on my Taylor 12, and tune that to B. A little floppy but not that bad, and you do get that bass Leadbelly had.

http://www.juststrings.com/dan-500m.html

You can get make a set simliar if you obtain a regular medium gauge string set, and add individual strings (see the chart in the above website). This may be a easier way to go. The key is to use a medium gauge (56 - 13) and tune low.

Cheers
Chief

This string is designed to be tuned to low B on a long-scale guitar. If you put this on a regular 12-string guitar (typically 25.5 inches, 648 mm) and if you tune the 6th to E, there will be a lot of tension and I do fear you may damage your guitar.

I also notice the diameter is 0.080 inch (2.02 mm) (11th string). A typical 12-string has the 11th string at 0.053 inch (1.35 mm) so this string will not fit into the nut slot and you may have to do a minor surgery.

Cheers
Chief

Top Bottom