I created a brand new style of Ukulele.

acabooe

Reaction score
Dear Friends.

I have just completed creating and building a brand new type of Ukulele.
Let me tell a few things about it.
This Ukulele is modeled after the traditional Japanese Shamisen, so it is fitting that I call it the "Shamisen Style Ukulele".

It is Tenor scale legnth ( 17 3/32" )
It uses the modified Kasha/ Schnieder/ Chock bracing system.
The neck doesn't taper.

Here are the specifications.
Materials:
Honduran Mahogany= Neck, tail block
Spanish cedar= Tentalones ( kerf liners )
Curly Maple= Soundboard, backboard, bindings, bridge patch,
Spruce= Bracings
Curly Koa= Sides
Ebony= Fretboard, and bridge
Pine= Tuning pegs
White Corian= Nut and saddle

The finishing process consisted of 6 coats of Tru Oil over 3 days, lightly sanding with 500 grit paper, and then 3 more coats over 2 days.
Finally I sprayed it down and wiped it with car wax.
It is still a porus finish, but I believe that wood should look like wood.

It took me about 3 months to plan and build this prototype, and while i am very satisfied with how it turned out, there is much room for improvement.

Here are some pictures. I hope you like it, and I am awaiting your critiques.

Aloha
Bob Bourque

DSC09284.jpg

DSC09280.jpg

DSC09287.jpg

DSC09277.jpg

Oh, I want to hear a video of how it sounds next to say a G string tenor.

Edit: and I almost forgot to mention...very very nice job.

Wow Bob. When you first said you were going to make a uke at the G-string shop where you work, I figured you were going to make a traditional uke, but omg. This is unique. Very nice work. Like everyone else said, I would like to hear what that puppy sounds like. What your boss say about it? Maybe thats the next in the G-string line? :D

To Cashew,
Thanks for your kind words. Currently it would be played with a person sitting down on the ground or a chair. The body is rather small, so there isn't really much for your fore arm to hold onto, so that means that it would need to rest against a persons leg. I have plans for the future models to have strap ability, so that a person could play it standing. One thing that I think that is pretty cool about my Shamisen Style Ukulele is that it can stand up on its own without falling over. Thanks again

To Dino,
Thanks also for the kind words.
As for the G String thing, I no longer work there. For over a month actually.
This Ukulele was 100% planned and built by me at my home in Nanakuli.
As to what my former boss might think about it, I have no idea. I expect that people will have varying opinions towards it, and that is fine. Everyone should buy the type of Ukulele that they like. Thanks again too.

To everyone else,
Thank you all as well for your kind words.
I still have some final tweaking to do on the action at the nut, so as soon as I get that ironed out, I will put up a vid of me playing it.
Mahalo Nui Loa.
Bob

OMG!! that looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!
i feel so happy in my pants!

uhhoh....happy in the pants huh? I'm gonna cover my eyes now.....

that is an amazing prototype. if it sounds as fantastic as it looks, i would jump at the chance to get one in a heartbeat. the body style must really make for an interesting tone.

great work

Mann it looks so awesome!!! I can't wait to hear it. Would you consider making some to sell? and if you did, how much would u sell them for? It may take a while, but I would do my best to save up for one.

Top Bottom