Jumping on the Leonard Cohen bandwagon.....

23skidoo

Reaction score
I've been a big fan of Leonard Cohen since I heard 'Songs Of Love and Hate' when I was 15 - pretty much altered the whole way I heard music and thought about the way songs should be written.

I've enjoyed Ken Middleton's numerous covers of Cohen's tunes and a recent spate of other folks putting up their favorites - especially the thread ReaderMo started last night - has inspired me to jump on the wagon as well.....

Here are three of my favorites.....

Last edited:
I've been a big Leonard Cohen since I heard 'Songs Of Love and Hate' when I was 15 - pretty much altered the whole way I heard music and thought about the way songs should be written.

I've enjoyed Ken Middleton's numerous covers of Cohen's tunes and a recent spate of other folks putting up their favorites - especially the thread ReaderMo started last night - has inspired me to jump on the wagon as well.....

Here are three of my favorites.....

Excellent work! I love me some Cohen. I did this one awhile back. Not my best but it was fun. Everybody Knows

Not trying to threadjack just thought with all the cohen threads i would consolidate a little. Keep rockin m8!

Thanks, Cam, I'm glad you enjoyed them..... I don't think a week has gone by (literally) in the last twenty years where I haven't listened to at least one Leonard Cohen record. When I started learning guitar as a teenager, I had EZ chord books from The Beatles and The Smiths and a book of Cohen fingerpicking tablature, with all the greatest hits. I think 'Bird On The Wire' was the first song I learned and played where I actually felt like I was making music.... it's been fun exploring these tunes on the uke. I've always capoed the guitar on the fifth fret when playing his tunes, so they're really easy to move over to the uke.....

Mr. Foodstamp - that's the first video of yours I remember seeing, if I recollect rightly...... good stuff. And no worries about thread-jacking - I'd love other folks to post more Cohen tunes here......

Quality Bill, serious quality mate. More Hot work from Hotlanta :cool:

Great performances, diggin' the Cohen resurgence :cool:

If you are a really serious Cohen fan, as I am, then you need to check out Ken Middleton's work on Cohen. He has covered at least a couple dozen of Cohen's songs, and they are so well done and enjoyable. His voice approaches the deeper "gravelish" tone that Cohen gets, and his chord/picking arrangements are excellent. Just go to UTUBE and type in Middleton/Cohen, and you will get a large number of his Cohen covers. Lozark

If this is the Cohen bandwagon then can I jump on it with this one I prepared earlier.

I think the 'When Jesus was a sailor' verse from 'Suzanne' is just about the best written lyric on record. I like this version very much, wee.... it's interesting how many folks have done this song in such a wide variety of ways.....

Great stuff Bill! Last Year's Man is my favorite, but they are all very good.

Thanks, Jon - I've been playing these songs for years on guitar, so it's interesting trying to work them out on the ukulele.....
hey mate, I had a few messages these past months asking about how one can know so many songs and stuff, but you bro, for sheer versatility and breadth of what you play...you have one seriously massive catalogue Bill. I'm constantly amazed at, not only your flexibility in playing different styles (a bit like wee_ginga_yin too) but the knowledge base that underlines it all. Yup, the heat just keeps gettin hotter in Hotlanta... :)

Great stuff Bill! Last Year's Man is my favorite, but they are all very good.
thanks, Eric - I think 'Last Year's Man' and 'Famous Blue Raincoat' are his best tunes, but they're the hardest to play....

hey mate, I had a few messages these past months asking about how one can know so many songs and stuff, but you bro, for sheer versatility and breadth of what you play...you have one seriously massive catalogue Bill. I'm constantly amazed at, not only your flexibility in playing different styles (a bit like wee_ginga_yin too) but the knowledge base that underlines it all. Yup, the heat just keeps gettin hotter in Hotlanta... :)

:::blushing::: gee, Jon, thanks brother..... you know how to brighten a guy's day..... now if I could only fingerpick the uke and play at the same time like you.....

Top Bottom