Need help selecting strings

itsscottwilder

Reaction score
I just got one of the Cordoba 20TM-CE tenor uke from guitar center.

I know everyone here is big on the aquila strings. But the aquilas that came installed on this uke just sound sort of dull to my ears.

Can anyone suggest a string that has a little more snap and clarity to it?

I know besides Aquila, I can get Martin Uke strings at the local music store. Any opinion on those?

I've never been a fan of the Martins. Lately I've been using Worth clears (heavy gauge) with the unwound low G on my CBU, and I'm very happy with them. A while back, thejumpingflea turned me onto Savarez Alliance hi-tension classical strings, which I used on a Mainland concert mahogany. Those are very bright, and I ended up going back to Aquilas when I wore those sets out, mainly because I have a bunch of Aquilas around. I do love the soft feel of the Aquilas, and there's a texture to them that lend themselves to the type of vibrato I have when I play. When I burn thru those, I'll probably try the Worth clears (reentrant) on the Mainland.

The best advice is: Keep experimenting!

I'll be very interested to watch this thread. I've never heard strings brighter than Aquilas. And, everything I've read here tells me others think they're as bright as you can get.

Ooo. That's a conundrum---agree that Aquilas are bright. Could it be the (shudder) ukulele? Because I went and tried out some ukes like Lanakais at our local excuse for a music store and they were very dull indeed. Not every uke can be fixed by better strings, although they do help.

I suggest the OP go and find reviews of the Cordoba on youtube and see how it stacks up. Or he has a dull one, which can happen even to good makes.

I'm becoming a big fan of the Martin Fluorocarbons. I have them on both ukes now and very pleased.

Aquila's are great too, but I agree they are a bit duller. I think they are easiest to play, especially for a beginner. I recently tried Ko’olau Golds but found them to be very hard, didn't like the feel at all.

There are so many choices, and at about $5 a set I think it's worth it to buy a few different kinds and try them all out to see what works best for you on your instrument.

I;m a big fan of Worth and Southcoast. heard good things about Diaddorio T-2's and got some in the mail yesterday. haven't tried them yet.

The dullness could be attributted to other factors too. For starers, stock strings are often dull sounding as there is no telling how long they have been there. Sometimes replacing stock strings with a new set brightens it up.

Secondly, it may not be the strings, but the uke itself not being well suited for aquila, or it is simply a dull sounding uke.

As for string options, i find Fremont blackline fluorocarbons to be brighter and crisper than aquila.

As for Martin strings, its the opposite. Theyre one of the mellowest strings ive ever tried. Brilliant if you want a gentle, warm, mellow sound though

Last edited:
+1 for Southcoast and Worths. Both are more than just "bright" and give nice balance and clarity.

I'm becoming a big fan of the Martin Fluorocarbons. I have them on both ukes now and very pleased.

Aquila's are great too, but I agree they are a bit duller. I think they are easiest to play, especially for a beginner. I recently tried Ko’olau Golds but found them to be very hard, didn't like the feel at all.

There are so many choices, and at about $5 a set I think it's worth it to buy a few different kinds and try them all out to see what works best for you on your instrument.

I have a set of Martins on my Luna concert. And I dig the sound. I wouldn't call them "bright" per say. But they do have a certain clarity that my ears have become accustomed to. I'm thinking of trying the D-Addario out. Maybe I'll shoot some before and after clips for everyone to hear and comment on.

I just put Fremont Blackline mediums on my Lanikai spalted mango tenor and like the sound over either the Nylguts or Martins.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Martin M600 fluoros (be sure you get those and not "crystal nylons" if you do try them!). On my ukes - three koa, one mahogany laminate - I find them brighter than Aquilas.

I'm assuming the Cordoba is a laminate? I recently re-strung a Cordoba laminate for a friend with Aquilas and while they sounded better than the black nylon strings that it came with, they still sounded really dull and muted - really similar to how Aquilas sounded on my Kiwaya laminate. I didn't have any extra Martins to try on my friend's Cordoba, but I did end up putting them on my Kiwaya and they really brightened things up.

I am a convert from Aquilas.
I have been using Worth Browns on some ukes for a clear, crisp, but warm tone.
Orcas give be a clear, crisp and slightly brighter voice.
I had Aquilas on a koa soprano and recently tried the Orcas and was just blown away by the improvement.
As EVERY string thread on the forum says, "strings are personal and subjective".
The best is just keep trying strings until you find the sound you are looking for.

My string suggestions (some of which will sound awfully familiar) are:

Southcoast "hard"
Orcas
Fremont Blackline
Worth - both clears and browns

My experience with Aquila, Ko'olau (both Alohi and Gold), and Martin has been pretty much meh. It's not that they are bad, but they just don't seem to fit my ukes as well as the ones I listed. Maybe I'll give them another go and see if my taste has changed. That said, laminates and solids tend to respond differently (as do individual instruments), so take my and everyone else's reccomendation with a grain of salt and try for yourself.

Every one here has a valid point. Matching strings to your uke and your ears is part of the fun. Not all ukes are created equal and the same applies to strings.............................BO......................

I should have been clearer. I'm not looking for a brighter high end per se. i'm looking to tone down some of the less attractive overtones in the lower mids.

Aquilas are about the brightest and loudest strings you can get. If your uke still sounds dull with Aquilas, I'm afraid there's not too much you can do.

Definately give the Worth's a try. I have been using Worth clear on my Martin and love 'em. Clear, bright and mellow all in one! And with Worth's-you get enough for two sets per package. There are several YouTube videos compairing Worth to other strings.

I put a set of PHD strings on my Kanile'a tenor. Love the punch! The strings are new from Jason Arimoto and Daniel Ho. Have D'Addario T on my Nalu SC and Aquila on my Kala. Took a lot of experimenting. Tried Fremont low G, Worth clear low g. All fine but just kept trying different combinations. Nalu has come out with their own string set that I might try

Keep trying till you find something you like.

Top Bottom