Bummed...had to return Uke

There are other good ukes in the bargain category.
But, and there's a but here.
The Makala Dolphin is without a doubt one of the most popular cheap ukes out there.
I've had the chance to play a few of them myself. And all I can say is, try before you buy.
The quality control on the Dolphins seem to be a little bit better compared to others.

Have bought several dolphins over the years as gifts for beginners. All were great starter ukes. Tough and solid even for kids.

Can't part with mine. :)

We have two at our house.. .one purchased from uke republic and sounds superb. (with aquilas and Mikes set up) and the other was a painting project for my husband, lots of paint changed the tone some, it's still playable and I do play it some.. I recommend if you can't play one in a store, get it from Uke republic or Mim if she has any.

I'm sorry, but did you really expect better from Mahalo? You get what you pay for. Cheap price generally = cheap uke

I'm sorry, but did you really expect better from Mahalo? You get what you pay for. Cheap price generally = cheap uke

Well to be fair I wasn't asking for it to sound as good as one of the K brands or something. All I was really expecting was for the Uke to stay together.

But now that it hasn't I'm thinking I would still like to have a soprano in my collection.

Although being a hobbyist. I'm not going to spend more than $125

Take a look at the aNueNue U900, bear and rabbit ukes.
The rabbit is a pineapple, the same one "The Rock" plays in the video

Mahalo quality is apparently quite variable--I just got a smiley too, and I freakin' love it. It's well-built, came with a decent setup out of the box, and plays and sounds way better than a $30 uke has any right to. + it's really cute!

Mahalo quality is apparently quite variable--I just got a smiley too, and I freakin' love it. It's well-built, came with a decent setup out of the box, and plays and sounds way better than a $30 uke has any right to. + it's really cute!

I've had the same experience with my Mahalo Smiley uke. It definitely puts a smile on my face! :)

Also, regarding the OP's original problem: are they building these 2 different ways? My bridge is actually held on with screws rather than the more traditional glue, so pulling up isn't really an option for it.

Also, regarding the OP's original problem: are they building these 2 different ways? My bridge is actually held on with screws rather than the more traditional glue, so pulling up isn't really an option for it.

No screws on the one I returned. Just glue.

I have a mahalo flying V.
It looks great hanging on my wall, which is all it it good for.

Sorry to hear about that. I haven't received the Smiley I ordered for my daughter as yet and hope it's okay when it gets here. X-mas 2010, I bought 13 Diamond Head ukuleles as gifts and every one was good out of the box for starters. They come in different colors like the Mahalos at a lower price. For your budget, there are lots of options. Good luck in your quest for a soprano uke.........................................BO..........................

What about a Luna, since you already have one (and presumably like it)? Three models in your price: tattoo pineapple, honu pineapple, and pineapple great wave. The great wave is a pretty sweet little uke.

What about a Luna, since you already have one (and presumably like it)? Three models in your price: tattoo pineapple, honu pineapple, and pineapple great wave. The great wave is a pretty sweet little uke.

Luna just introduced some new models too.. Can't wait to see them in person! Plus Koa etc..

Top Bottom