Makin that D chord

Ground Loop

Reaction score
I'm working my way through the basic chords, and still having a persistent difficulty getting into "D" position quickly. (E as well, of course)

I've watched YouTube videos show at least three ways of doing it:
- Thumb bar from the back side (clever, but slow for me)
- Three fingers, one on each string
- Flat middle finger (carefully avoiding A string)

Each time, I seem to mute at least one string.

Which of these approaches has the most chance for success? I like the "three finger" one because it seems most positioned to go do something else, but man.. it's crowded in there.

Is this a common hangup, or just the first time all the fingers need to go to the same place?

Choose your way of forming the chord, then practice; eventually, your fingers will obey your intentions. Don't give up.

For strumming where an occasional, slightly muted A string doesn't matter too much, the flat middle finger works for me. For arpeggios or finger picking, my three smallest adjacent fingers (pinky, ring, middle) work better. I found the index, middle, ring finger combo too crowded; resulting in a slightly "off" sounding chord. As Skirk said, it takes practice. I started very slowly and have gradually picked up the pace.

I use my index and middle finger. Index for G string and middle finger pressed across the C & E strings. Yeah three was too crowded for me and my fingers didn't quite have the flex to just use the one.

I used to struggle with it too but I found the three finger style to be the best. Once you get used to it, it makes changes into other chords around that shape really easy.

Play it like a G chord position...in the top second fret.....

Isn't that a D7? Or do you mean you can get away with a D7 most of the times ;) ?

I usually barre the second fret (index finger) and put my pinky on the fifth fret, first string (2225). This allows me to move easily to other chords like D7 (2223) and G (4232).

Mike

I tend to favour the semi barre or one finger across 3 strings style as I find it easiest. But as has been said before there is no right or wrong way, just practice some and use whatever feels most natural for you. It is also not uncommon to use differnet fingering dependent on which chord you are coming from or going to.

Isn't that a D7? Or do you mean you can get away with a D7 most of the times ;) ?
I think Stan means try to use the G chord pattern with all your fingers squashed into the second fret, in effect the three finger technique.

I was happy with the three-finger technique D until I tried to learn 'The Summer Wind'. This has a chord sequence D-D6-Dmaj7-D6

Unfortunately the three-finger technique makes the move from D to (barred) D6 almost impossible. So I've now settled for the barre technique for the D, straightening my finger for the D6. A bit uncomfortable tbh.

I use my index and middle finger. Index for G string and middle finger pressed across the C & E strings. Yeah three was too crowded for me and my fingers didn't quite have the flex to just use the one.

Same here.

This is the one that works well for me as well. On a couple of my ukes, the fretboard is a bit wider & I can manage the single finger, single joint barre, but on most, I've found that this two finger D just works & an added bonus, it is easy to release the pressure from the middle finger so that you have a D7 (open C string) - easy to "toggle" between D & D7 this way.

But, you should also learn the other positions as IF you can do a barre w/that first joint of the Index or middle finger, laying that same finger flat on the 2nd fret & adding a finger on the A string 3rd fret for a D7.

Flat middle finger.

All the other methods are just plain wrong.

(kidding)

Yup. This works wonders for me, and allows for pretty quick changes.

Depending on the song, I'll either do the semi-bar 222x or I'll do the 2225 approach

the 2225 gives you many options. Look closely at this shape and you will see it is a "C" played up the neck.
The shape at fret 3 is the dreaded "Eb", fret 4 is "E" and fret 5 is "F"

Top Bottom