Not Staying In Tune

tnfishdaddy

Reaction score
I have had my Pono MT for a little over a week now. Every time I get it out to play it, it is way out of tune. At first I thought it was the strings stretching. I don't think it is all the strings fault. I think the tuners are turning. I have been noticing which direction my tuners are turned when I get it in tune. When I get it back out, the tuners have turned dramatically. Is it possible that my tuners are slipping? If so, what is the fix?

Is there a small screw in the center of the tuner knob? If so, tighten it a little. On both friction and geared tuners, but especially on friction tuners, this adjusts the friction so the tuner will not loosen. Best is when the screw is just tight enough to hold.

Oh, make sure you're not tuned an octave high! If the tuners are visibly slipping by quite a bit you may be tuned an octave high. This is actually possible without breaking a string about 50% of the time.

John

Also, make sure the tuners are not hitting anything in the case.
If the tuners are slipping the adjustment above will fix. Depending on the strings it can take a few weeks for them to settle in.

Is there a small screw in the center of the tuner knob? If so, tighten it a little. On both friction and geared tuners, but especially on friction tuners, this adjusts the friction so the tuner will not loosen. Best is when the screw is just tight enough to hold.

Oh, make sure you're not tuned an octave high! If the tuners are visibly slipping by quite a bit you may be tuned an octave high. This is actually possible without breaking a string about 50% of the time.

John

Great advice.....

For a standard tuned uke the 3rd string is tuned to middle C and the 4th string is tuned to G above middle C

Also, if you need to tighten the screws in the middle of your pegs, you may want to back them off (loosen them) just a liiiiittle bit first to compensate for the microscopic amount the peg might tighten as you're turning the screws. Trial and error may be necessary here!

Looking at it, there are two screws in each tuner. One that holds the part you grab onto the rest of the tuner and one that holds the geared part to the uke. I will mess with those a little bit. It is tuned to the correct octave. I used the other uke for comparison. It is not hitting anything in the case. It has Aquila strings on it. I would say they are still stretching but I am convinced that the tuners are turning also. I will see if tightening the screws in the gears just a little will help.

Looking at it, there are two screws in each tuner. One that holds the part you grab onto the rest of the tuner and one that holds the geared part to the uke. I will mess with those a little bit. It is tuned to the correct octave. I used the other uke for comparison. It is not hitting anything in the case. It has Aquila strings on it. I would say they are still stretching but I am convinced that the tuners are turning also. I will see if tightening the screws in the gears just a little will help.

The part that holds the tuner to the uke is just that, it's basically a little wood screw that keeps the tuner from falling off when the uke isn't strung (there is usually also a nut that goes over the shaft of the tuner from the front). The tension adjusting screw is the same screw that holds the tuning knob to the tuner. When you tighten it down it basically compresses a plastic or fiber washer so there is more friction.

John

Messed around a little bit with the tuners when I got home yesterday. Tightened the screws just a little. Tuned it and noted what direction the tuners were pointed. Played for about 15 minutes and put it away. This was about 4:00. Got it back out after supper and tuners appeared to be in same spot. Was slightly out of tune. More what you would expect from strings stretching. Played a little and put it away for the night. Checked it this morning and 2 strings were still in tune and 2 needed to be slightly tuned. I think slightly tightening the screws may have fixed my problem. Thanks everyone for your help.

Stay with it. A little over a week - with the small amount of playing you're doing - is NOT a long time for strings to stretch. Once it's in tune, you will start to love it. After that, keep your eyes on those screws, but you shouldn't need to tighten them that often.

Yeah, I am only playing about an hour a day. Today they stayed in tune the best they have since getting them. I think when the strings settle in, all will be good.

Also, depending on where you live in TN you can experience some pretty strong weather changes that will affect string tension. Both humidity and temperature can change rapidly, especially at this time of year when in Georgia, where I live, it can be 65 one day and 45 the next. You'll have to adjust your strings when these changes happen. That's not to say the screws don't need tightening and or that your strings aren't settled. It's just that even if your screws are set properly and your strings settled temperature and humidity will still affect string tension. cheers, g2

Top Bottom