New uke on the way

BasicUke

Reaction score
Short version: Got a Kala KA-TG on the way and it should be here Wednesday!

Long Version: My daughter was dying to learn to play the guitar. I played trombone and tuba in school (AGES AGO) so I could read music but couldn't teach her guitar! I bought her a good used guitar and we went to Guitar Center to get some picks.

In the check out line, I pointed to the Ukes and told her I always wanted to learn to play the uke. She talked me into buying a $18 Hilo Soprano uke.

I got busy and it sat for about 3 months, then my 86 year old grandfather visited and brought his mandolin. He and my daughter played a little together. I though, "How freakin' cool is that!? She gets to play with her GREAT GRANDFATHER!!" I decided I wanted to get in on this too.

I picked up the Hilo and have practiced every day since. After playing for about 3 weeks, I got a Christmas gift from the wife, a LU-21S! I was stoked. I started playing it daily and then noticed a buzz on the A string anytime and then on E string when I used the second fret. As it was new, I sent it back to whence it came.... AMAZON. I figured since it was Amazon and I got to pick, I would go with a tenor as I love the sound.

It was between the LU-21T and the Kala KA-TG. I just love the glossy look. I researched here on UU and everyone seemed to agree that they both were decent, so I pulled the trigger on the Kala.

I am still playing the Hilo (Penny). I have a set of strings on order for her, but I don't know how much she'll make it out of the gig bag after the Kala gets here.

I did, however, almost buy a LU-21P Pineapple off Craigslist today. I don't need it so I threw the guy a low-ball and told him if he couldn't get rid of it, call me.

Thanks for listening!!

Jim

Congrats! :smileybounce:

I have a Ohana SK-15 in maroon that was supposed to arrive today but didn't. :( Maybe tomorrow ....

Congratulations... waiting is hard, isn't it?

It's frustrating but exciting...still haven't heard when my Mainland is coming in--it's been since Dec 22. I'm wearing out my Dolphin.

Three generations jammin', super. Glad you didn't stick with a uke you didn't like. Hope this one trips your muse.

How fun to play with you family.

Aloha Jim,
congrats on the new kala...yes the wait is excruciating..have fun and Happy Strummings..

Did ya get it?!?

Yep! Came Thursday - WHEW! Just in time for my weekend trip to seminary! I didn't play it too much on Friday night (class was until 10:30 and had to be at another class by 8 am) but I did play a little. It was SO nice to have it with me!! :D

Congrats on the new uke! I just started the waiting process on mine (a Makai spruce top bari)

Oscar Schmidt by Washburn OU5 Concert Ukulele on the way around 1st of Feb. New to Ukes, but, have played the guitar and Banjo years ago. Hope a Uke will get me interested again.

Oscar Schmidt by Washburn OU5 Concert Ukulele on the way around 1st of Feb. New to Ukes, but, have played the guitar and Banjo years ago. Hope a Uke will get me interested again.

Please let us know how you like it when it comes!

Just decided that I want three kind of ukes, a Dolphin (check), a Baritone tuned DGBE (check) and a low G tenor (the cash is ready to be paid). This is the kind of situation where the two stores I buy from are both out of stock on the uke I want, and both say it should arrive late january/early february. After it arrives I can buy one and have to wait again to be shipped from the UK to the NL. The double waiting game, argh, the agony.

Top Bottom