Everything old is new again! The new old ukes

Uke Republic

Reaction score
I'm happy for something old is new again -Ohana 38 series-soprano and hopefully in by March concert and tenor. aNueNue 1879, DaSilvas version of Santos, Bradfords version of Kumlae. Kiwayas KTS-4
I really love the interpretation of these classics.
What others do you like? What others would you like to see made?

Aloha,
I'm probably in the minority but older uke styles doesn't do anything for me even if they are remans. On the other hand, I'll take a Ford Cobra replica any day....................................BO..........................

I'm happy for something old is new again -Ohana 38 series-soprano and hopefully in by March concert and tenor. aNueNue 1879, DaSilvas version of Santos, Bradfords version of Kumlae. Kiwayas KTS-4

Oh wow, a tenor tk38?? Oh my wallet...

I don't mind a nice vintage inspired uke but it still has to sound good! ;)

Well, I got my Donaldson Vintage-S, but would love the 1879 and/or a DaSilva "Santos" - but... now you GOT to find some vendor willing to create or sell a case worthy of these fine instruments. aNueNue has their matching case for the 1879, but ... I would LOVE to have a case like that for the Vintage-S as well. So... a qwest?!

I really like the new Martin inspired Ohana tenor. I really wish they would use pegheds or something on them, though.

Aloha,
I'm probably in the minority but older uke styles doesn't do anything for me even if they are remans. On the other hand, I'll take a Ford Cobra replica any day....................................BO..........................

That's it Bo, we have to get together and put some vintage ukuleles in your hands.....you might change your mind when you get ahold of some Favilla's, a Martin, and a Gibson!

I had the chance to play a DaSilva Santo reproduction, and it was pretty, and sounded great. Luckily, I've held three actual Jose Do Espritio Santo ukuleles and they were quite different from his reproductions. However, I know Mike builds his repros off of the measurements of a real Santo he had in the shop, so there was a lot of variation even in the earliest ukuleles!

I still get very divided...I'm attached to geared tuners but know that most vintage style ukes will have friction ones. How much should I be trepidatious in getting one, then? Is it petty to think as I do?

Last edited:
Well, Ohana makes their versions of the Vita Uke (originally by Harmony) and the Bell (originally Lyon & Healy).

I prefer friction tuners on Sopranos and Concerts; since these are all that I really play, I prefer friction tuners. Once you get used to them, they are easy.

Well, Ohana makes their versions of the Vita Uke (originally by Harmony) and the Bell (originally Lyon & Healy).

I prefer friction tuners on Sopranos and Concerts; since these are all that I really play, I prefer friction tuners. Once you get used to them, they are easy.

Agreed - have had my first uke with friction tuners for a month and they're wonderful.

And aesthetically, does anyone seriously prefer the look of geared tuners rather than friction tuners on a uke? Seriously?!

For me the headstock with friction tuners is a fundemental part of what makes a uke a uke and distinguishes it from some other instruments - esp. the guitar...so IMHO ukes with an electric guitar (a la Fender) style headstock with 4 side-by-side geared tuners is an abomination, regardless of how it might sound!

Ben

For me the headstock with friction tuners is a fundemental part of what makes a uke a uke and distinguishes it from some other instruments - esp. the guitar...so IMHO ukes with an electric guitar (a la Fender) style headstock with 4 side-by-side geared tuners is just gorgeous and more ukes should come with this design!

Fixed that for you. ;)

Great timing! I've been thinking about starting a related thread this morning!

There are two that would be of great interest to me (others may think I am crazy ref #1):

1.- OHANA SK-38 long neck mahogany Soprano, with 14 frets (only) neck ending at the body with the size and playability of the CK-35 neck w/o the additional 5 frets/extension over the body (which would match the "look" of the SK-38). It should have the sound, tonal specs and finish as the SK-38. Perhaps a step-up in friction tuners? I WOULD TRADE MY KOALOHA LN for one if available today or just buy one and keep the KOALOHA just to have one KOA in my collection (I plan to cover "why" I would do this later in a new thread.)

2. - OHANA SK-38 Tenor because someday I want to add a Tenor to my collection (?, never thought I would say that.)

Take care out there to the west.

(BTW Mike, whatever happened to the "Fish"?)

Agreed - have had my first uke with friction tuners for a month and they're wonderful.

And aesthetically, does anyone seriously prefer the look of geared tuners rather than friction tuners on a uke? Seriously?!

For me the headstock with friction tuners is a fundemental part of what makes a uke a uke and distinguishes it from some other instruments - esp. the guitar...so IMHO ukes with an electric guitar (a la Fender) style headstock with 4 side-by-side geared tuners is an abomination, regardless of how it might sound!

Ben

I completely agree. It might seem petty, but aesthetics are definitely part of the big picture for me when it comes to buying an instrument. If something is going to be vintage-inspired, they should at least put on high quality friction tuners or pegheds. I would fork out the extra dough for that little aesthetic boost.

Top Bottom